Windows-7 - 32-bit upgrade to 64-bit -
I have 32-bit Win-7 Home premium.
Is there an UpGrade to Win-7 64-bit Home Premium or PRO -
without starting over and paying the full cost to MicroSoft?
"Branded" versions of Win-7 PRO -
these are sold at a much lower cost then the full system is advertised for.
Question: Is this "branded" Win-7 fully installable and usable
for my custom built desktop?
Any disadvantages in going this route?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You can not easily upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit

Link here

Q: Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or from a 64-bit version of Windows 7 to a 32-bit version of Windows?
A: You can use the Upgrade option during Windows 7 installation, which preserves your files, settings, and programs, only if you're currently running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista and you want to upgrade to the 32-bit version of Windows 7. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you can only perform an upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows 7. For more information, go to Upgrading to Windows 7: frequently asked questions on the Windows website.

If you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or vice versa, you'll need to back up your files and choose the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. Then, you'll need to restore your files and reinstall your programs. For more information about performing a custom installation, see Installing and reinstalling Windows 7‍.

There is no upgrade path from 32 to 64 bit. It actually requires a clean install and then you would have to restore files. Im pretty confident that its going to require you to pay for the new license.

Sorry, im not familiar with the branded version... Or do you mean OEM?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.