I have a client who can not download her attachments throught the windows mail app. Their mail server is gmail and they do not have a windows account. If they go into the desktop and go to their gmail they can download the attachments with no problem. Is the issue the fact that they do not have a windows account therefore the apps do not work fully? I have no problem with downloading attachments and I have a windows account.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The problem appears to be in the ActiveSync Protocol client implementation in the mail app. The GetAttachment command isn't functioning properly. The GetAttachment command is supposed to pass the name of the attachment to retrieve. But it doesn't. Therefore, the server fails the request with an HTTP 500 Internal Server Error.

Micro$oft is aware of the issue but it is not likely to be fixed anytime soon. Almost remenicent of releasing a Beta while pretending it's RTM grade... What did we call that? Was it Vista?

As a possible work-around, sometimes, it will download but not present it to you. You may try to find your attachments at the following file path:

C:\Users**Your Account Name**\AppData\Local\Packages\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\LiveComm\e214224ee7860485\120712-0049\Att\

In the "Att" directory, you'll have other directories which will possibly contain the attachments. If they are there, I know this is not a final solution but maybe you could put a shortcut to the "Att" directory on her desktop or something and she could at least retrieve them for the time being.

Let me know if this works for you! Thanks.

Think global,Act local.Global when you can,Local where you must.

With this automatic downloading of attachments, is there a way of turning this off?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.