All of a sudden Windows 8 is unresponsve upon entering the desktop and on bringing up the Task Manager Disc usage is showing 100% for 5-10mins then returns to normal. Really want to sort this as I need to use the Laptop for work:
HP Pavilion g6-2265sa
Windows 8 (Home) (64 bit)
Intel Core i3-2370M processor
4GB RAM
750GB hard drive (ST750LM022 HN-M750MBB)
Intel graphics
802.11 b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth 3.0

The only AV on it is windows defender, I've turned off file indexing and the task manager doesn't reveal much. The few programs using the disk don't seem to be very active yet usage is at a solid 100% for 10mins. Any help appreciated. I'm beginning to really really dislike windows 8.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

the highest users are "system" and "Service Host:local Service (Network Restricted)(7)

The first thing you should do is check your hard drive for bad sectors. Hdtune is a good tool for this, get the free version. http://www.hdtune.com/download.html

Hi, did a check, no bad sectors.

What security software do you use?

Has your machine crashed? Has it been forced to power off (battery flat)? Is it starting up from Sleep or Hibernate?

All these will cause a lot of disk usage as the machine boots back up. If your drive isn't particularly fast, this could take a while.

Hi, I just use windows defender at the mo. The disk usage starts after normal start up, plugged in to mains. It also peaks at random times thereafter as well.

I have the same problem as well. Defender also takes up a LOT of disk usage. Make sure you do not have a security scan starting at start up. Also, use task manager to stop unnecessary startup programs.
Hope I helped!
:>)

Already did that, will check Windows Defender though.

"the highest users are "system" and "Service Host:local Service (Network Restricted)(7)" is what you see in TM. That's a restricted view. Download Process Explorer from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb795533, check in properties of that svchost which service is being run by it.

Installed Windows 7. No more problems.

Just stop Superfetch in Windows services.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.