Hi,
I have recently been using Linux mint 14 on my computer but after hours of trying to get used to it I have decided to get windows 8. I bought it from a shop, so it's on a disk not downloaded. But when i try to install it, I choose settings, enter the product key. And then I am given two installation options.
The first is upgrade and it gives me this message;
The computer started using the windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade.
The second is custom and gives me the option of drive 0 partition 1 and drive 0 partition 2. No matter which one I choose, it gives me the message;
Windows cannot be installed on this hard disk space. Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as ntfs.
Windows cannot be installed on this hard disk space. The partition is of an unrecognized type.
What am I doing wrong? Do I have to convert my hard drive to ntfs format? If so, how?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

This is not an upgrade. This is a clean installation. You don't upgrade Linux to Windows. If you have enough disc space, you can perform a dual-boot installation (install Windows first, and then Linux). Windows usually doesn't like to co-exist with Linux unless to tell it specifically to NOT use the entire disc.

So, do you want to remove entirely Linux and install Windows? Simple enough, just do a clean Windows installation (not an upgrade). It will happily blow Linux away and take over the disc. Then, if you really want to play with and learn Linux, you can install something like Virtualbox and run Linux in a virtual machine running as a guest OS under Windows.

MS-Windows can only be installed on either FAT32 or NTFS file systems. Your installation diskette should have given you the option to format the hard drive. Did you buy an upgrade version of Windows 8 or a new user version?

For now I just want to remove Linux and install windows. May try dual boot when more knowledgable. How do I do a clean installation instead of an upgrade? Thx

For now I just want to remove Linux and install windows. May try dual boot when more knowledgable. How do I do a clean installation instead of an upgrade? Thx

As I said above, don't use the upgrade option. Use the clean install option. However, if your Windows disc is an upgrade disc, you may be SOL and need to purchase a full installation media... :-(

Thankyou :)

If you have a full prior version such as Windows 7 then you can upgrade to Windows 8.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.