For some reason Windoze thinks that my USB port(s) is/are unknow devices when I try to update the drivers it tells me the drivers are current. I get a message "sfotware for this device has been installed; unknown device is ready to use. Most things 9except for my mouse and cooling fans, don't seem to connect - hell they don't even recharge when plugged in.

Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I did google it and the answers.microsoft.com advice did not work- I shut the thing down, unplugged it, waited for a bit, and I still get the USB devices failed. I will keep looking but - sigh!

When I go to device manager it says 'unknown device' then it is updated and says USB composit device, then I get the error and it becomes unknown device.

I did google it and the answers.microsoft.com advice did not work- I shut the thing down, unplugged it, waited for a bit, and I still get the USB devices failed. I will keep looking but - sigh!

I would suggest we install the latest mobo chipset driver again and must reboot the computer after that.

Most USB software issue can be corrected.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Tech Manager, WPTinc.

2 things.

1) Did you allow windows update to upgrade any hardware drivers? I usually tell people not to use the win drivers. Instead, it is better to go with drivers from the manufacturers.

2) Have you updated or removed any hardware drivers recently?

Some things you can safely try.
1) Go to your PC or motherboard manufacturer and get the latest drivers. Rerun the installs and see what happens.

2) Boot into safe mode. Run Device manager. Delete the USB ports from the driver list. Now reboot into normal mode, the PC should autodetect the hardware and prompt you for drivers. Either provide the location of the manufacturer drivers or rerun the manufacturer setup.

See if that helps.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.