Member Avatar for diafol

Anybody else noticed changes following an update this month?

My taskbar has been reset, notifications icons have disappeared, startup menu changes, wallpaper removed, libraries disconnected, recent files lists blank. I'm seriously unimpressed. For a freaky minute, I thought all my documents had been lost, until I realised that My Documents was not automatically being shown when I clicked Documents.

Urgh.. this may prompt me to finally adopt Linux.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

That stinks. I haven't seen any mass problems with the Dec updates affecting PCs but these things do happen from time to time. If you've attributed this to a software change like updates, you should be able to do a system restore back to a restore point in time prior to the updates. Then apply the critical security updates only, one at a time until you find the culprit.

Try not to install optional updates ever, unless you need to and/or driver updates. You are asking for trouble when you do.

I would like to move to Linux also but I don't have enough time in the day or hard drive space in my head to pick up one more thing at this time.

Member Avatar for diafol

Yep, thanks Jorge, I restored and got my desktop back. Hmm. Can't see why that should happen - only critical updates AFAIK - I'll investigate.

Didn't notice any problems on my Windows 7 or 8.1 computers (I have one of each).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.