I'd like to apologise if I appear naive, also I'm not sure if I'm writing to the right people. But not long ago I upgraded my Laptop from Windows 7 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit. I was a clean install all right. The thing is that plenty of the tools & utilities have dissapear. I'd like to know if it's possible to return all or al least some of those tools to the PC. My Laptop is an ACER Aspire 5920 & it was Windows Vista Home premimum 32 bit when I when I acquire it.

Sincerely,

Bobcr

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi Bob

Firstly, which tools have disappeared?

If it is the ones that came with the laptop then a clean install would have removed them.

You could check your hard drive for a folder called 'Windows.old' this has all of the programmes from your old install, if that doesn't exist then there is only one option and that is to download them again from the publishers.

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot for answering.
Yes, "Windows old" is there, but apparently the stuff or at least part of it does not work anylonger. I have dowloaded the drives & things like the wewbcam now works. What I would like to get hold of is Acer Empowering technology (if it's possible. Also I had to send a lot of Windows Old from the C Drive to the D (Data) Drive, it was occuping too much space.

I repeat, thanks for answering.

Anything specific to Acer you will have to find on their web site (probably in the support section for your hardware). With luck they will have a Windows 7 64-bit version you can download and install.

I was a clean install all right.

If you did a clean install then the installer should have reformatted the hard drive before installing 64-bit Windows 7. If you have c:\windows.old then you did not do a clean install.

Many (but not all) the 32-bit drivers/programs you had may not work with 64-bit version -- you will have to download and reinstall the 64-bit version of those drivers/programs.

Hoping solved.

Thanks for your kind hints. I'll try them immediately. Also I hope you don't mind, cos may be resorting to you again quite soon.

Go to the acer website, the driver section, specify which device you have and it will give you a list of all the drivers and softwares that come pre-installed with your laptop or on any discs that came with it.

It may not have 64bit versions of the software though, so some programs might not work (because of 32/64bit errors) and those have to be downloaded from somewhere else. Specifically search for their 64bit version.

And now that you have a 64bit system, it's good to get in the habit of always looking for a 64bit version of software beforehand, in case the regular version won't work for you.

Loads of thanks once again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.