This is a very common Problem in Vista. Consumer/Residential Internet Providers are set for Automatic DHCP. The ISP's do not even know the answers and Microsoft support has had problems getting people online. This is with the PC directly connected to the cable Modem. the first step to getting the connection going.

Working for an ISP, I would like to know the real answer for getting Vista online. It is frustating not knowing what truly is the fix. Of course we have a couple Vista PC's set up to explore on, but they are already connected. Especially for those who buy new computers and attempt to set up for the first time. This will become more prevalent as more consumers purchase Vista machine. This will probably happen this 2007 Holiday season & Microsoft comes up with a reasonable Update for most big issues.

I have attempted disabling IPv6, checking settings, disabling & re-enabling network card and LAN connection and still nothing in most cases. I have tried unplugging the power from the computer so that the network card & the system loses information holding up the connection. one time I switched over to USB and that worked. Luckily the person was not setting up with a Router.

I think more reseach needs to be done on this.

found this looking for a better fix than the one I have ...

power cycle the wireless router.

or the long answer ...

exact same expereince as the OP, local access only, I can however open the wireless router web admin page, so this isn't a wireless connection issue per se.

All was working fine until i turned off SID broad cast, lost internet access but local access was fine, tried numerous network repair and diagnostics. Eventually I re-enabled SID broadcast, this alone did not fix the problem, neither did a reboot. I had to shut down my desktop, powercycle the wireless router, boot up my desktop. Everything working again.

I suspect there is something beyond my knowledge going on with vista/wireless router upnp packet forwarding, at least I suspect it's on the routing side of things as the wireless network functions, accessing external sites is what fails ... note my XP laptop was working fine throughout the troubleshooting, so it wasn't as if the internet connection itself was down.

Just heard this may be caused by Vista's auto tuning which dosn't like some routers and to try disabling it by ruuning the command -

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

I will test it tonight.

The sad thing is, I just bought an Vista Laptop. I was debabting getting an XP laptop just because of this reason. But I figured since I troubleshoot this all day long for our customers, that I would take a shot at it. I have the same issue. I Can not get connected to the INternet whether the laptop is directly connected to the Cable modem or through a router. I can connect to the Routers Web Admin thought.

Researching this it seems like the DHCP that my ISP (and the company I work for) is different that the DHCP that Vista is running. A "Windows DHCP" that can not see the ISP's DHCP. Thanks Microsoft. TRying different things that I read and nothing has worked yet. Whatever I do try, I set back so that I know exactly what the fix is.

Today I did take the laptop to a coffee shop and I was able to connect through their wireless and get to the internet. But that was a different ISP (TMobile). So maybe they had the updates DHCP.

Now I did enable UPnP on the Router, but that does not see to do anything. Whatever it is. The Vista DHCP is not Communicating with the ISP DHCP.

Anyone have any ideas?

running the command "netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
" seems to have fixed my issue, bit early to be sure.

if you try it, you can always change back with the command
"netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal"

googling vista autotuning brings up many other issues with this feature, so maybe worth turning off anyway.

I got an interesting message back from that

"Set Global Command Failed on IPv4 The requested Operation requires elevation"

Elevation to what? I am using the Administrator account. Gggggrrr

googling vista autotuning brings up many other issues with this feature, so maybe worth turning off anyway.

being logged in as administror isn't enough ... another vista annoyance.

right click on the command prompt icon in the start menu and select "run as administrator"

then run the netsh command. Otherwise it runs with normal user rights even when logged in as admin.

I got an OK on that. still nothing.

Tried USB, it recognized the cable modem. moved driver over for it via usb flash disk/drive. no connection. still "local only" with all settings correct.

online chat with my isp. told me to uninstall the tcp/ip and reinstall it. Ooops can not uninstall it in properties. LOL

I am going to take out the battery and see if that does anything.

also try to uninstall symantic/norton security.

being logged in as administror isn't enough ... another vista annoyance.

right click on the command prompt icon in the start menu and select "run as administrator"

then run the netsh command. Otherwise it runs with normal user rights even when logged in as admin.

I find it hilarious that my problem seems to have fixed itself... I tried everything and it didn't seem to work. I finally got it to work after disabling IPv6 for my wireless connection and rebooting. I don't remember re-enabling IPv6, but it is currently running and I'm writing this from my laptop on a wireless connection at someone else's house. I truly feel, based on the results when getting configuration results back (ipconfig /all), that, in my case, the PC was using a “random” Automatic IP address configuration as the preferred connection. If anyone has insight as to how to possibly reverse/prevent this... please post.

I got past the "local" problem by opening the Network & Sharing Center, then open Manage network connections, and then highlighting the the connection and then opening "connectivity", setting it to internet and local and finally opening "network catagory" and setting it private ( check marks).

Now I am fighting with the dns server not recognizing the address.

I got past the "local" problem by opening the Network & Sharing Center, then open Manage network connections, and then highlighting the the connection and then opening "connectivity", setting it to internet and local and finally opening "network catagory" and setting it private ( check marks).

Now I am fighting with the dns server not recognizing the address.

If " internet and local" and "private" are not shown for a wireless network on the pull downs, you need to go back to "Manage wireless networks" , highlight the connection and delete the old connection.
Then set up a new connection and return to "manage network connections" to set the connectivity and catagory.

I had to totally reset my Cable Modem.... WEll eMTA (Multimedia Terminal Adapter.) It does Digital Voice & Internet. So I had to pull out the power, take out the Battery (8hr Battery backup on Phone). Then all was recognized.

I just also changed my router to a wireless router. So I had to Reset it again to day. So Done Done & Done!

I work for an ISP (BT Retail, business broadband) in the UK, on the help desk. We're getting a steadily increasing tricle of businesses calling us about Vista issues. However, I've not so far identified a case of Vista being "incompatible" with either the DHCP server of the RAS or one of our supported routers. I've managed to get a few people connected over wireless as well. We use PPPoA and VC - MUX.

Steven.

Hey guys new to the forums here but having this same problem. I work at and ISP and we have had a handful of these issue come up with local only and they are all on wired connections. We have tried every thing uninstalling and reinstalling the network card, disable and enable the card, rebooting the modem, router, and computer, disabling IPV6, and running the netsh command no go on any thing. we have gotten a few customers working for a little but doesn't seem to last long. Talked with Dell at one point thinking they sell some of these computers and they tried to tell me the modem was bad... The customer at the time i was talking to them about has tried 2 modems but i have tested here and work fine. I told the dell tech that hell had a better chance of freezing over then both the modems going bad between our office and the customers house that is only about a half a mile from us. But any how any one else have something I'm missing or something that will fix this once and for all other then the drag and drop theory.

Thanks

Kyle

What ISP? (if you can.) You need to pull the power on the cable modem. IF the customer has Phone also, CDV, you need to pull the power and the Battery back up. YES you need to have the customer pull the battery out of the box. Then power up everything in order. that also needs to be done if swithing from PC to Router or removing router or move etherent from PC to PC.

get back to us if that works. I am sure you have set everything correctly. After that powerCycle then try the IP repair.

Hey guys new to the forums here but having this same problem. I work at and ISP and we have had a handful of these issue come up with local only and they are all on wired connections. We have tried every thing uninstalling and reinstalling the network card, disable and enable the card, rebooting the modem, router, and computer, disabling IPV6, and running the netsh command no go on any thing. we have gotten a few customers working for a little but doesn't seem to last long. Talked with Dell at one point thinking they sell some of these computers and they tried to tell me the modem was bad... The customer at the time i was talking to them about has tried 2 modems but i have tested here and work fine. I told the dell tech that hell had a better chance of freezing over then both the modems going bad between our office and the customers house that is only about a half a mile from us. But any how any one else have something I'm missing or something that will fix this once and for all other then the drag and drop theory.

Thanks

Kyle

Small ISP in northern CA Snowcrest. We are working with DSL most of the time we have also tried the whole power thing too. No go on that either. Most of the customers i have helped with don't have a router or back up power but we have removed those from the equation just to make sure that wasn't the issue. One thing that i have found that works ok for PPPOE connections is setup vista to make the connection dont have the modem do it. I have had that work a few time not all the time tho.

I have registered in order to inform the thread of my similar problems, in the hope that it will help shed light on it for someone. I do not yet myself have a solution.

My setup is a netgear router / wireless access point, which provides a working wired connection to Win98 and WinXP desktops, and a working wireless connection to WinXP and Vista Ultimate laptops.

HOWEVER... I also have a netgear WGX102 powerline extender (ie it duplicates my netgear wireless access point down the mains wires in my house, and broadcasts/receives wireless data from a second unit plugged into the mains downstairs. Allegedly.

My difficulty is with my Vista Ultimate laptop. It connects wirelessly to the original access point signal, but yields the "local access only" problem with the duplicated WGX102 signal.

Here's the kicker: My XP laptop connects through the powerline extender (and directly through the wireless router - I am running them as two separate connections for diagnostic reasons) with no problems at all. My Vista Ultimate laptop connects directly to the wireless router with internet and local access, but with only local access through the powerline extender. I have both on right now, XP nicely connected, Vista with no internet access.

I'm hoping that the nature of my problem might help people solve the common Local Access problem bothering most of us.

I have registered in order to inform the thread of my similar problems, in the hope that it will help shed light on it for someone. I do not yet myself have a solution.

My setup is a netgear router / wireless access point, which provides a working wired connection to Win98 and WinXP desktops, and a working wireless connection to WinXP and Vista Ultimate laptops.

HOWEVER... I also have a netgear WGX102 powerline extender (ie it duplicates my netgear wireless access point down the mains wires in my house, and broadcasts/receives wireless data from a second unit plugged into the mains downstairs. Allegedly.

My difficulty is with my Vista Ultimate laptop. It connects wirelessly to the original access point signal, but yields the "local access only" problem with the duplicated WGX102 signal.

Here's the kicker: My XP laptop connects through the powerline extender (and directly through the wireless router - I am running them as two separate connections for diagnostic reasons) with no problems at all. My Vista Ultimate laptop connects directly to the wireless router with internet and local access, but with only local access through the powerline extender. I have both on right now, XP nicely connected, Vista with no internet access.

I'm hoping that the nature of my problem might help people solve the common Local Access problem bothering most of us.

Part Two: Well, after fiddling a bit, I got both XP and Vista laptops connected to the internet via the powerline extender wireless access point. So as an experiment I turned off the Vista laptop, turned it back on again and reconnected to the same connection. Whaddya know - Vista laptop has only local access on that connection now.

We are having problems with our wireless connection. It says we are connected to tje linksys router but the Access says Local only. No internet access is available. The wireless is working because my Macbook connects no problem.

It's very annoying especially as it was working fine 3 days ago!

If anyone has any solutions to this problem i would be very grateful.

Cheers

Reset your Cable/DSL Modem. Pull the power on it for 1 min. Plug it back in.

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately after trying what you suggested still Local Access only. I really can't understand what the problem is??

Very frustrating!

Cheers

Ok. I finally got my wireless to connect to the Internet. It may not be the ideal solution but it worked. Here's what was happening. I have a wireless router and a HP latop with Vista Home Premium. The laptop would connect to the Internet only if I had it wired directly to the router. The Network would show "Local and Internet". When I conncet wirelessly though, it would only show "Local". That means I could only browse locally and no Internet. That was driving me nuts for a few days. I even brought it to Best Buy and it just connected to their wireless there. :-( So, they told me that it was a network configuration.

Here are the specs
wireles nic - Broadcom 802.1g
router - Linksys WRT54G version 1.1 with 4.2 firmware (latest)

The solution is to hardcode the ip, subnet and gateway on the wireless adapter. For example, if the ISP (in this case, Shaw), give you an IP of 70.68.202.xx, you need to hardcode on the card and IP of 70.68.202.200. Put the same gateway as the shaw cable. That should change the connectivity to "Local and Internet"

Problems with this setup.

1. ISP may change IP addresses and then you have a problem again.

2. All your devices need to have the Shaw IP.

I know the ideal setup is the router should have the 192.168.1.xxx address with the ISP 70.68.xxx.xxx as the external address. All internal network devices should have 192.168.1.xxx.

Good luck in figuring this out. It took me 4 days to figure it out because it is not the conventional way.

You can use WEP and anti-virus software with this. I use Norton 360.

Hey Folks,

Just like everyone I have the same problem with my laptop (vista home) not able to connect to internet both thru ethernet and wireslessly. It is getting really frustated. My wireless card detects the connection but its only connected to local i.e. not able to connect to internet.

My home setup as follows : WRT54G linksys router. Have 3 other laptop which uses XP PRO and they are able to connect to the internet. But the problem only lies my vista laptop (home edition). My wiresless in WEP enable either.

Well below are the methods I have tried so far since the problem has occured:
1. Disabled the IPv6
2. Tried renewing the ipconfig in command prompt (as an admin)
3. Assigned Static IP address/submet mask/default gateway
4. Assigned a diff DNS server as well
5. enabled/disabled the wireless card and rebooted - multiple times
6. uninstalled the wireless card and re-installed it
7. turned off the auto tuning as well
8. made new network connections - manually
9. Reset the cable/modem etc as well.

Any other methods or help is greatly appreciated. I have wasted soo much time in this. Planning to go XP PRO if i cant get it dissolved.

Thanks a million
-S

Try disabling IPSec on the router. I think its in administration.

Also, what IP address did you put into the wireless adapter? Was it the IP of the ISP? You will find it in the ipconfig /all.

Good luck and don't lose hope. You will solve it eventually and it will feel good.

Hey Folks,

Just like everyone I have the same problem with my laptop (vista home) not able to connect to internet both thru ethernet and wireslessly. It is getting really frustated. My wireless card detects the connection but its only connected to local i.e. not able to connect to internet.

My home setup as follows : WRT54G linksys router. Have 3 other laptop which uses XP PRO and they are able to connect to the internet. But the problem only lies my vista laptop (home edition). My wiresless in WEP enable either.

Well below are the methods I have tried so far since the problem has occured:
1. Disabled the IPv6
2. Tried renewing the ipconfig in command prompt (as an admin)
3. Assigned Static IP address/submet mask/default gateway
4. Assigned a diff DNS server as well
5. enabled/disabled the wireless card and rebooted - multiple times
6. uninstalled the wireless card and re-installed it
7. turned off the auto tuning as well
8. made new network connections - manually
9. Reset the cable/modem etc as well.

Any other methods or help is greatly appreciated. I have wasted soo much time in this. Planning to go XP PRO if i cant get it dissolved.

Thanks a million
-S

Thanks for all the people who have helped.

But I did solve the problem, by going into symantec.
For some reason that was blocking the internet access and I turned off the protection in Internet and browsing and amazingly it WORKS!!

Again thanks for everyone's help.

Hey guys. I just registered to reply to this thread.

I am having the same issue with my HP desktop running Vista Premiere. I have Local Access only using wired ethernet connection. I have spent over 6 hours on the phone with both my ISP and HP and still no resolution. I know it is not my modem or router, as I am able to connect my 2 Mac laptops both wirelessly and directly to the modem and/or router.

From command prompt, I am unable to renew ip config, it times out, unable to reach DHCP server.

I have reset both modem and router. I have unistalled/reinstalled network card drivers. I have completed a full system restore, taking machine back to factory specs. I have disabled IPv6. My antivirus and firewall are disabled.

I am at a complete loss on what to do at this point. The most frustrating thing is that this machine was previously working and connected to the internet a week ago. Mysteriously overnight it developed this problem.

Any suggestions at this point?

Thanks

Questions:

1. When you go over to the Macs, what IP do you get when you do an IPCONFIG? Can you try hardcoding a similar IP on the HP machine?

2. Can you connect the pc directly to the modem using a wire? Does that work? If it works, that means it something with the router. If it doesn't, I think that means you have some software blocking it. Check your anti-virus software

3. Last week, when it was running, was it also on Vista?

4. Are your adapter settings set so it obtains an IP automatically?

Good luck.

Hey guys. I just registered to reply to this thread.

I am having the same issue with my HP desktop running Vista Premiere. I have Local Access only using wired ethernet connection. I have spent over 6 hours on the phone with both my ISP and HP and still no resolution. I know it is not my modem or router, as I am able to connect my 2 Mac laptops both wirelessly and directly to the modem and/or router.

From command prompt, I am unable to renew ip config, it times out, unable to reach DHCP server.

I have reset both modem and router. I have unistalled/reinstalled network card drivers. I have completed a full system restore, taking machine back to factory specs. I have disabled IPv6. My antivirus and firewall are disabled.

I am at a complete loss on what to do at this point. The most frustrating thing is that this machine was previously working and connected to the internet a week ago. Mysteriously overnight it developed this problem.

Any suggestions at this point?

Thanks

1. This is the info from my mac (which connect fine to both modem and router):
IP 192.168.1.100
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
DNS nameserver 68.94.156.1
nameserver 68.94.157.1

2. I have tried multiple times connecting PC directly to the modem and it has no effect on this issue. I am only able to get a 169.xxx IP address on the Vista machine

3. Last week yes, it was running Vista and had no connectivity issues. This is a new machine that came loaded with Vista and has been running wihout problems for 4 months. Last Tuesday night it hibernated, and in the morning when started would not connect.

4. I have tried to do them both automatically and manually, using the IP info from the macs and am still unable to connect.

HP and SBC are fresh out of ideas and each is blaming the other for the problem. I am getting very frustrated and don't know of any other fixes or work-arounds. I appreciate any help/ideas.

Thanks,

Questions:

1. When you go over to the Macs, what IP do you get when you do an IPCONFIG? Can you try hardcoding a similar IP on the HP machine?

2. Can you connect the pc directly to the modem using a wire? Does that work? If it works, that means it something with the router. If it doesn't, I think that means you have some software blocking it. Check your anti-virus software

3. Last week, when it was running, was it also on Vista?

4. Are your adapter settings set so it obtains an IP automatically?

Good luck.

Uneal; this worked. I'm hoping I'm not jumping the gun but I disabled, powered down computer, pulled power cord, restarted and now it is recoginizing my connection and I'm able to get online. I also have IPv6 disabled and have changed my power management settings.

Thank you!

I had the same problem with a windows vista laptop that could only get "local access" to my wireless network (all my xp machines worked fine). I originally had my network secured with a 64-bit WEP key and despite putting in the correct key on my vista laptop I was unable to connect (the same thing where it can't identify the network and has local access only). When I disabled the WEP on my router my vista laptop connected with no problems but unfortunately my network is now unsecure (I can now connect with IPv6 enabled and without manually entering an IP address). It is a decent fix for now but I hope to figure out how to make it work with the WEP security eventually. Anyways if it is your home network you might try disabling any security on the router. Good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.