Hey. I recently tried to play a dvd on my comp and media center told me that the disk wasn't being recognised, so I checked the computer and the drive was missing from there. This is the error in my device manager:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

Check for solutions does not work. It brings up a dialog that lingers for a while (i guess it communicates with server) and then disappears without so much as saying what the outcome was.

Does anybody have any idea what's wrong here and how it can be fixed? Please help because its my only optical drive O.o ATM.

By the way, its a dvd burner (dual layer) with this model: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N ATA Device. And it came with the computer whic is Acer AST180-UD360A....I don't know what any of that means...

Recommended Answers

All 33 Replies

ok i got it fixed by means of a registry edit from a MS KB (incidentally which was for XP)

Hi, can you provide more specific information as to the registry edit, where you found the info or which registry entry to edit, and how??
I have the very same problem, with my Acer......
Thanks so much!

ok i got it fixed by means of a registry edit from a MS KB (incidentally which was for XP)

Hi
I have the very same problem.......can you provide more specific info as to where you found the repair info or how you performed the edit? Thanks!
theonetruewit@yahoo.com

Has anyone the details of this solution, I have the same problem of code 10 error on dvd running vista

I should have posted this since thetrueone asked for a solution, instead of just emailing. Again, I say that it may not work because a)It's for windows XP, and b) it makes no mention of COde 10. It worked for me and thetrueone regardless, so you are welcome to try (so long as you are aware of the risks of editing your registry).
Here is the link to the microsoft KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

also...this is just advice, and i dont expect to be held accountable should anything happen....

Yep, I just tried this on an HP dv6000 CTO running Vista Premium and it worked there too. Thanks for the thread - I had come across the fix on Microsoft's site but would not have thought there was enough in common between XP and Vista for it to work.

Just the Registry edit didn't work for me. However, I did solve it by: 1. Un-installing burning software that didn't come with the computer. 2. Change the appropriate stuff in the registry and 3. unplug DVD and CD burner, restart computer, turn it back off, plug burners back in and restart pc again. Solved the problem for me with Vista on an HP a6010n

I have a Toshiba A135 running Vista. I was getting this message in the Device Manager on my DVD/CD ROM drive. I followed the instructions in this thread: I uninstalled my CD Creater software, then I deleted the entries in the Registry. I rebooted. I checked the Device Manager and the error was cleared and it said it was working properly. I reinstalled the CD Creater software and I am good to go.

Thank you, this site really helped me.

These instruction don't talk about Code 10, but they worked for me as well. I have Vista on an HP. I looked EVERYWHERE and all of the Vista help...wasn't helpful. This worked for me. BUT interestingly enough, the the "Guided Help" wouldn't install/work! So, it did have to be done manually. GOOD LUCK! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

I'm new at this forum.
let me tell you about my VISTA problem.

maybe some can help on this problem.

I'm running Vista. with COMPAQ Presario Sr1403wm.
trying to run a jump drive /w U3 software.
at device manager I get a conflict at the DVd /install.
I do not have a Dvd burning software,
I have removed or umpluged cd writer/dvd rom harware.
restarted pc them plug the jump drive I get the same comflict code10
I reboot it 3 time with cd/dvd unplug same problem.
I unpluged some USB and desable usb / same problem.

here is what it shows at device mgr.
DVD/CD-rom drivers
(!)RElay UFD USB DEVICE.

In Vista there is no resources screen to solve the conflict

I have checked the U3 web site and it should work with vista
it is know that it creates on error with dvd drive but they suggest to remove the cd or dvd drive and reboot PC , I have but same problem. they do not mention about changing anything in regedit. if any body can suggest a solution I'm willing to try.

thank you in advance.

tyfon

i'm not really good with pc's what do they mean with those upper and lower filters?

have this same problem with my compaq presario with vista. But I am confused how do I get to run on vista???? Someone please help me and maybe guide me through this. Thanks

Hi!! Can u pleasee suggest me the steps to edit my register, so that my computer recognize my DVD Burner............

I should have posted this since thetrueone asked for a solution, instead of just emailing. Again, I say that it may not work because a)It's for windows XP, and b) it makes no mention of COde 10. It worked for me and thetrueone regardless, so you are welcome to try (so long as you are aware of the risks of editing your registry).
Here is the link to the microsoft KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

also...this is just advice, and i dont expect to be held accountable should anything happen....

Thank you so much for the help. I had exactly the same problem with our acer and same dvd drive. I had been struggling for a while now to make it work.

I had the same error on Windows Vista and used the link provided which by the way does show fixes for both XP and Vista. Fix worked fine. Many thanks as I have been pulling my hair out.

Hey. I recently tried to play a dvd on my comp and media center told me that the disk wasn't being recognised, so I checked the computer and the drive was missing from there. This is the error in my device manager:

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

Check for solutions does not work. It brings up a dialog that lingers for a while (i guess it communicates with server) and then disappears without so much as saying what the outcome was.

Does anybody have any idea what's wrong here and how it can be fixed? Please help because its my only optical drive O.o ATM.

By the way, its a dvd burner (dual layer) with this model: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N ATA Device. And it came with the computer whic is Acer AST180-UD360A....I don't know what any of that means...

I had the same problem [device cannot start code 10]with a digital camera. What I tried, and it worked, was make my user account an administrator account.

As the sole user of my computer, there was only 1 user account active, mine. And while technically I was the administrator, some software requires that there be more than one user sccount on the computer, before administrator accounts will be acknowledged.

What I did was activate another account [guest] by turning it on. Then after I rebooted my computer, the camera installed, and works.

Hope this helps, in your situation

I have the same problem except mine is a Optiarc DVD RW AD-7561S ATA Device attached to an HP Laptop

hi guys, i have a problem with the same error code when installing MSI PC60G-F wireless network card. I installed windows 7 and chose the upgrade feature. for about a week everything worked like a charm, then my pc suddenly couldn't find any network adapters.

I have tried installing drivers and updating where necessary, even uninstalling and reinstalling, to no avail.

What I don't understand is this, the pci wireless net card is MSI, but in device manager it was listed as Atheros something. So my best guess is that i am trying to install uncompatible drivers for my net card.

Any help on this subject would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have the same problem and I think what happen to me was as follows: I got my the new computer windows7 and was installing my printer; a msg came up and said my device was not compatible with windows 7 and needed to find drivers for it. I did a search and a program (can remembr the exact name) came up that said it would find it for me. When I selected ok, I saw the program downloading and uninstalling "drivers" and suddenly stopped and said to continue the installation I have to subscribe for 10.00. Well I didn't know there was a fee so I quit. Later when I got my nephew to look at it he said this program must be blocking me from finding/getting the necessary drivers and now I cant do anything as far as my dvd, ipod, iphone updates. I need help too!!!!! I will post the name of the site as soon as I can find it.

By the way, its a dvd burner (dual layer) with this model: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N ATA Device. And it came with the computer whic is Acer AST180-UD360A....I don't know what any of that means...[/QUOTE,ADS Instant HDTV PCI This device cannot start. (Code 10)
]

Thanks 'Scru' for the solution.

Sorry, I don't have an answer. I have the same problem. However, I have the same message for both of my DVD drives. One is a SATA drive and the other a IDE.

I had the same message - 'this device cannot start. code 10.' on my audio device. After checking everything else I went into the BIOS and "enabled" the audio, restarted my pc and worked fine. Worked for me, hope this helps!

I have a zune 30 gb and i get an error saying device can not start code 10, I have tried to use the zune device on 3 other computers and it says the same thing. i also bought a new sync cable and nothing works, i have widows 7 pro.

I have the same problem of code 10 error on dvd running Windows 7

I downloaded from MS as above. It brought back the listing in the device manager but it has a yellow exclamation point there. My CD/DVD player still does not show up in My Computer. What now? Help.....!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.