1,105,290 Community Members

Code 10 This device cannot start....

Question Answered as of 6 Years Ago by theonetruewit@y, ianad, Roadangel and 3 others
Member Avatar
stillwater231
Newbie Poster
1 post since Jan 2010
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

Hey. I recently tried to play a dvd on my comp and media center told me that the disk wasn't being recognised, so I checked the computer and the drive was missing from there. This is the error in my device manager:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

Check for solutions does not work. It brings up a dialog that lingers for a while (i guess it communicates with server) and then disappears without so much as saying what the outcome was.

Does anybody have any idea what's wrong here and how it can be fixed? Please help because its my only optical drive O.o ATM.

By the way, its a dvd burner (dual layer) with this model: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N ATA Device. And it came with the computer whic is Acer AST180-UD360A....I don't know what any of that means...

I have the same problem and I think what happen to me was as follows: I got my the new computer windows7 and was installing my printer; a msg came up and said my device was not compatible with windows 7 and needed to find drivers for it. I did a search and a program (can remembr the exact name) came up that said it would find it for me. When I selected ok, I saw the program downloading and uninstalling "drivers" and suddenly stopped and said to continue the installation I have to subscribe for 10.00. Well I didn't know there was a fee so I quit. Later when I got my nephew to look at it he said this program must be blocking me from finding/getting the necessary drivers and now I cant do anything as far as my dvd, ipod, iphone updates. I need help too!!!!! I will post the name of the site as soon as I can find it.

Member Avatar
hishamawad
Newbie Poster
1 post since Feb 2010

Hey. I recently tried to play a dvd on my comp and media center told me that the disk wasn't being recognised, so I checked the computer and the drive was missing from there. This is the error in my device manager:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

Check for solutions does not work. It brings up a dialog that lingers for a while (i guess it communicates with server) and then disappears without so much as saying what the outcome was.

Does anybody have any idea what's wrong here and how it can be fixed? Please help because its my only optical drive O.o ATM.

By the way, its a dvd burner (dual layer) with this model: HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21N ATA Device. And it came with the computer whic is Acer AST180-UD360A....I don't know what any of that means...[/QUOTE,ADS Instant HDTV PCI This device cannot start. (Code 10)
]

Member Avatar
Dani_938
Newbie Poster
20 posts since Feb 2010
Q&As Helped to Solve: 2 [?]

Thanks 'Scru' for the solution.

Member Avatar
redcow
Newbie Poster
1 post since Feb 2010

Sorry, I don't have an answer. I have the same problem. However, I have the same message for both of my DVD drives. One is a SATA drive and the other a IDE.

Member Avatar
srayburn
Newbie Poster
1 post since May 2010

I had the same message - 'this device cannot start. code 10.' on my audio device. After checking everything else I went into the BIOS and "enabled" the audio, restarted my pc and worked fine. Worked for me, hope this helps!

Member Avatar
gailmckay
Newbie Poster
1 post since Jun 2010

I have a zune 30 gb and i get an error saying device can not start code 10, I have tried to use the zune device on 3 other computers and it says the same thing. i also bought a new sync cable and nothing works, i have widows 7 pro.

Member Avatar
webjeff2002
Newbie Poster
1 post since Jul 2010

Member Avatar
jctorero
Newbie Poster
1 post since Aug 2010

I have the same problem of code 10 error on dvd running Windows 7

Member Avatar
imperfectspirit
Newbie Poster
2 posts since Aug 2010

http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Can%27t_find_my_drives

click on manual un-install
follow directions
fixed mine in minutes

Member Avatar
brunetteblonde
Newbie Poster
2 posts since Aug 2010

I downloaded from MS as above. It brought back the listing in the device manager but it has a yellow exclamation point there. My CD/DVD player still does not show up in My Computer. What now? Help.....!

Member Avatar
imperfectspirit
Newbie Poster
2 posts since Aug 2010

sorry...didn't mean to post and it won't let me remove it????

Member Avatar
kensel2009
Newbie Poster
2 posts since Oct 2010

i wanted to open my external harddisk, but i got code 10
i tried to fix it but does not work
it says the disk does work, but still got code 10 how can this be fixed, because now i can't get acces to all my files and photo's and i need them very urgent

Member Avatar
warlock66
Newbie Poster
1 post since Jul 2011

hi my name is paul i had same problem but i removed all but 2gig of ram and it worked fine . also i replace ram and still working ,hope this helps .my specs are win 7 x64 12 gig triple channel ram i7 920 overclocked 4.0 gig .

Member Avatar
flagstar
Practically a Master Poster
615 posts since Oct 2009
Reputation Points: 111 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 63 [?]

hi my name is paul i had same problem but i removed all but 2gig of ram and it worked fine . also i replace ram and still working ,hope this helps .my specs are win 7 x64 12 gig triple channel ram i7 920 overclocked 4.0 gig .

hi paul...

please don't post in old thread anymore.
If you have the same problem or other problem, please create new thread and one of our volunteers will assist you as soon as possible...

cheers

You
This question has already been solved: Start a new discussion instead
Tags Related to this Article