I currently have a wired LAN which works great with three PCs. I am using a Linksys BEFSR41 4 port DSL router which hooks to my DSL modem. My IP is Bellsouth/AT & T. I would like to switch to a Linksys Wireless router WRT54G. Does anyone know what settings I will need to use. I would like to get the wireless network in place prior to the arrival of my new laptop.

Will I be able to use basically the same settings I have on my current router with the exception of the Wireless config of the router?

Any help would be appreciated. I set up the BEFSR41 with very little problems though I'm new to this. I already have the Wireless router and want to begin working with setting it up as soon as possible.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Will I be able to use basically the same settings I have on my current router with the exception of the Wireless config of the router?

On the ISP side of things it should be similar. I would use WAP for your wireless. The hacker kid tells me he can sniff WEP in a matter of minutes. You should have no problems. Make sure you set a secure password both for your router itself as well at the WAP key. Wouldn't hurt to change that every few weeks/months.

It's very easy to setup,I'm using the same make and model currently.Just follow the instructions that came with the router and you will see it's easy,but be very care full with the password.Be sure you set a secure password for the router.And use WAP key.Goodluck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.