Member Avatar for san_fran_crisko

Hi,

I recently built a new PC and ever since then my wireless connection has been incredibly slow and cannot last more than 15-20 mins without disconnecting. Sometimes "repairing" the connection will not work and even with a restart I have not been able to reconnect to the router. It makes no difference if I use Netgear's software or Windows XP's. My PC and wireless specs are as follows:

Windows XP
Intel Quad Core 2.4Ghz
ABit IP30 Pro
2Gb Crucial PC800 RAM
Netgear WG311v3 wireless PCI card (w/ latest firmware and driver)

Netgear WGR614v6 Wireless Router 802.11g (w/ latest firmware)

I recently purchased a wireless keyboard and mouse (non-bluetooth) and was worried that was effecting the signal, but I was using them on the old system with no complications.

Disabling encryption and MAC filtering doesn't change the reliability or speed of the connection and I have tried various channels too, but to no avail.

Even if my upstairs PC cannot connect, when browsing on the hard-wired downstairs PC the Internet connection is fine and runs very fast.

If you know of any possible solutions I could try or it sounds like my wireless card is knackered (barely a year old!) then please let me know.

Thanks for your time,

Ciaran.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

how far is the wireless pc from the router. this sound like you are experiencing inter-ference either from another wireless device, distance between the 2 oints or you cordless phone.

Here is a suggestion, unplug your modem, reset the router(push the reset pin) then unplud the router, wait a few minutes then connect the modem, wait a few minutes then connect the router.

how far is the wireless pc from the router. this sound like you are experiencing inter-ference either from another wireless device, distance between the 2 oints or you cordless phone.

Here is a suggestion, unplug your modem, reset the router(push the reset pin) then unplud the router, wait a few minutes then connect the modem, wait a few minutes then connect the router.

Thanks for replying bobby.

The wireless router is in the room below with literally no more than 4m apart and the floor inbetween. There is a wireless phone about 3m away from the router in the hall but it hasn't disrupted the connection before. It worked right up until I built a new system.

As for the resetting and unplugging, I've done nothing but that lately in a desperate attempt to get it working again.

Thanks again,

Ciaran.

can you use this computer to connect directly to the modem to get online? is this DSL or cable internet?

can you use this computer to connect directly to the modem to get online? is this DSL or cable internet?

Unfortunately using ethernet to hook this computer up is impossible without shitloads of wiring and drilling of holes which I couldn't be bothered doing.

The modem (cable) isn't wireless, instead it is connected via ethernet to the wireless router which in turn is connected to the downstairs PC via another ethernet and to mine upstairs via WiFi (supposedly). As far as I know Virgin Media do not offer a wireless version of their modem yet.

ok, now when the wireless card is in the PC do you see the card in system properties. and what state is it in. Yellow ? sign, red X, yellow dot with exclamation sign!,

ok, now when the wireless card is in the PC do you see the card in system properties. and what state is it in. Yellow ? sign, red X, yellow dot with exclamation sign!,

It's in the "Network Adapters" category and it hasn't got any symbols beside it, i.e. working fine apparently. Occasionally after "repairing" the connection, the wireless activity symbol beside the clock comes back with a yellow exclamation sign beside it, stating it cannot get an IP address assigned to it.

open the network connection right click on the wireless connection. choose properties, double click on tcp/ip protocol. use automatic setting for IP and DNS...... then click ok. Now you have to ensure you are using wireless zero and that it's enabled. if you have an OEM wireless utitlity you can get the erros you are receiving if it's conflicting with windows wireless zero

All those settings are correct. I can't seem to uninstall (or install for that matter) Netgear's software without adding or removing the drivers entirely too. After setup and a restart you get a dialog box asking whether you want Netgear/Windows to manage the connection. If you choose wireless zero the program still runs beside the clock but I don't think it's doing anything. What I may do is disable it from starting up when Windows loads. Hopefully that should mean I can still have the drivers for the card, and wireless zero to monitor the connection.

use either the registry or msconfig, or better yet open the OEM utility and search around for any option to disable it and not show in task bar or when windows start. Pesky little thing, but you shold also be able to remove the utility ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE CD then go into system properties and right click the wireless device then choose update driver pop the cd in and let it find the driver for the device, without installing the software.

Netgear have somehow made it that you need to install the software, then power down your machine and install the card. Whenever you boot it up again it automatically installs. I've tried just putting the card in and Windows cannot detect it at all! I used MSCONFIG to disable the Netgear program starting up.

Thanks for your help bobby.

can i assume thats it working now

Unfortunately not mate. I'm at my wits end and have been trying everything. The software is all in a .exe and I cannot find the drivers anywhere when its installed in the WINDOWS, Program Files directories etc... so Windows can just install it.

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and get a new card. On that note, what would you recommend brand-wise (Linksys, Belkin etc..), spec (stick to 802.11g or upgrade to "n" etc...)?

I'm not keen on replacing the router as it seems to work fine. Although my connection was never entirely reliable or great when I got the WG311 in August, it's only been this bad since I built my new system. It just doesn't want to work with it. Must be a hardware issue, I've exhausted every software alternative.

you can extract the files from the exe or when you click on it look at the directory it's extracting to......I has to decompress the files before installing,,,,,,mostly in the user temp directories.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.