undefined Need help :o ... I have an XP Machine with an adsl modem BT Voyager 100 and another machine with XP. I am trying to link both machines with a crossover cable and 2 Realtek Cards. I have Panda Antivirus installed in one computer (one with modem attached) and both machines have Zone Alarm 4 installed. I have tried setting up both systems with the Network Wizard and tried manually with no joy.. Both machines dont see either computer or connect to internet. I have searched many sites for answers...

I tried putting my main computers IP Address to 192.168.0.1 and the other 192.168.0.2 still nothing...what am i doing wrong... I even tried putting same IP Addresses in both computers under Realtek Properties to 192.168.0.1 and I get a yellow triangle???? :o

Can anyone give me a step by step layout on how to do this please :cry:

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

Changed my host IP : 192.168.100.101 and the other to 192.168.100.102
Pinged both machines and they saw one another. The light is active on both Realtek Cards.

Still cant see Files/Folders or share internet connection :mad:

NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Well you could save yourself a lot of grief by purchasing a $50 Linksys router and connecting them that way. But for starters, Zonealarm prevents the machines from seeing each other. That's it's job. Remove it from both computers. Remove any manual settings you put into any cards in both computers except the one that connects to your adsl modem. Reboot that machine and make sure you can get to the Internet with it. Then find your Realtec network connection on that computer and enable Internet connection sharing. Reboot your other computer, it should be able to get to the Internet. For the computers to SEE each other, you'll need to enable sharing on each computer.

Well you could save yourself a lot of grief by purchasing a $50 Linksys router and connecting them that way. But for starters, Zonealarm prevents the machines from seeing each other. That's it's job. Remove it from both computers. Remove any manual settings you put into any cards in both computers except the one that connects to your adsl modem. Reboot that machine and make sure you can get to the Internet with it. Then find your Realtec network connection on that computer and enable Internet connection sharing. Reboot your other computer, it should be able to get to the Internet. For the computers to SEE each other, you'll need to enable sharing on each computer.

I agree 100 % why go through all of the hassle of trying to configure ICS? Go get a cheap DHCP/NAT enabled router. Allot easier to get the network operating that way. Just my 2 ¢

In reply to bentkey: I uninstalled Zone Alarm in both machines and restarted the XP Machines....ran through the procedure with XP to setup network and now I cant ping the machines ???? what is going on.

Surely I must be able to see one machine at least.
When I pinged the machine the last time.. I couldnt see any files on either machine but when I tried to connect to the internet, it sayed detecing proxy settings on status bar then couldnt connect.

Do I have to put in any info in DNS or Gateway in Properties of the cards?

Forgot to mention while I uninstalled Zonealarm in my main computer (adsl) I got 3 viruses from the same worm W32/Spidjy.A.worm :cry: ....

Which are now fixed :cheesy: ..... which Panda AV

Well, you're using xp, so make sure the firewall feature is disabled on the realtec network interfaces on each machine. Were you able to connect to the Internet OK from the host machine? I assume this machine has 2 network cards in it. It should be able to get out regardless of what you do with the other interface and the other computer. You can do an IPCONFIG /all command from the command prompt on each machine and let me know what they say. Be specific. ICS should use the DNS information it gets from the Internet connected Interface, which you haven't said, but I believe is probably automatic.

yes, the think most people forget is to disable teh MICROSOFT firewall on the network cards.. then is done in the network adapter properties.. and click advanced.

run the ICS on the computer with the internet connection.

turn off zonealarm (tempararily) to check that its working ok..

good luck

I have uninstalled the Realtek Card from host machine and have tried it with the onboard Lan. I have used the setup network wizard in both machines and allconfig/all

Displayed this:

Windows IP Configuration
--------------------------------------------------------
HOST MACHINE

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DOMAIN
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . : No

PPP adapter BT Broadband:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 81.1..........
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . .. : 81.1..........
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.........
Ethernet Adaptor K2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description : VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address : 00-0B-6A-2B-AD-46
Dhcp Enabled : No
IP Address : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway :
Netbios over TCPip : Disabled

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 ND MACHINE

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . :
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . : No

Ethernet Adapter

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Description : Realtek RTL8319 Family PCI Ethernet Card
Physical Address : 00-E0-4C-A8-EB-A5
Dhcp Enabled : Yes
Autoconfiguration : Yes
IP Address : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway :
DhCP Server : 255.255.255.255

In the services.msc (through run command)... I changed some settings when I first got Broadband, would any of these settings stop me from networking?...If so which ones do I leave active.

It looks like the 2nd machine is not getting a DHCP lease from the ICS box. Check and make sure you don't have any static settings on there. If not you could try specifying the IP on the 2nd box as 192.168.0.2 with the same subnet mask as the 1st box (255.255.255.0) and the IP of the 1st box as the gateway. Also you can see if the Application Layer Gateway Service is started, although I don't think it would be required for your BT Broadband connection. Right now I'd be more worried about not having an IP on the second machine. If you didn't actually remove Zone Alarm now would be the time to do it...I've seen where even when the service for ZA is disabled it will still deny network traffic. If your DHCP traffic is getting rejected that would cause the no lease issue.

Tried Ip address in 2nd machine still nothing.....if imove to a router is that easier if so what do i need??

Hmmm, I'm wondering why Netios over tcpip is disabled in your second adaptor, still I should think you would be able to get an IP. My personal favorite of little dsl routers is a Linksys with 4port switch built in. They've proven cheap and reliable and easy to configure.

commented: great advice :) +3

Hmmm, I'm wondering why Netios over tcpip is disabled in your second adaptor, still I should think you would be able to get an IP. My personal favorite of little dsl routers is a Linksys with 4port switch built in. They've proven cheap and reliable and easy to configure.

NetBIOS over TCP/IP wouldn't affect this. If you've turned on ICS, it appears that some kind of firewall might be blocking DHCP requests from going out. Either that, or you've not set the client machine to automatically get an IP from the machine doing the routing.

...But I agree with bentkey: Get a hardware router, like a Linksys. It will save you tons of headaches.

Yep...ICS is junk anyway and if it goes down, which it will, then you either have to know the services to restart or restart your PC - the router you can simply unplug, which is nice. A router also breaks up the physical networks which puts some space between you and the internet which is going to give you more easily managed and reliable security than hard to understand firewalls and ICS -- it's always good to take as much out of the networking equation as possible and for $50 it's really worth it.

Right ppl... I went out and bought a TRENDNet 54mbps ADSL Home Gateway, is that right?.....how do i install it because it tells me nowt....*thick as sh*bleep*t!!! when it comes to instructions....do i still need my network cards..or use the ones on my computer?.....

Please hurry

Model is TEW-435BRM

Right ppl... I went out and bought a TRENDNet 54mbps ADSL Home Gateway, is that right?.....how do i install it because it tells me nowt....*thick as sh*bleep*t!!! when it comes to instructions....do i still need my network cards..or use the ones on my computer?.....

Please hurry

I don't like instructions either but you should probably read them. Since you already have the network cards installed you should be able to connect to the gateway over ethernet...the manual will probably know a lot more about this device than we do, I bet it even has instructions on how to set it up! Most likely if you set the card to Obtain an IP Address Automatically you'll probably be able to get an IP from the gateway...at that point you would want to log into the router and setup a password and configure DHCP if needed.

Please hurry

Sorry, I've never seen one of those. I will have to look it up and see. You may have a problem if it doesn't have an ethernet wan port. Normally with a designation as ADSL built in, it expects to replace your DSL modem and it would have to match your DSL service. You just need one network adaptor in each computer, either adaptor is fine as long as it's working.

Right I have connected all network cards in both computers, installed the modem router..it picks up both network cards with no probs.

It does have a Wan socket?...what ever that means

Tried connecting to internet staright away..no joy...tried putting my ip address along with primary dns in properties for connection..still nothing!!

Host computer:
On my motherboard i have a via compatable fast ethernet adaptor (which is disabled).
Realtek card is enabled
Phone line from wall socket to Wan socket on router
Lan cable from router to realtek card
Lan 2 cable to 2nd PC

The only thing the CD that is supplied with this model gives u is the manual aarrrgghhh!!!... Tells you to get the Subnet mask?...and ip settings
Also VPI or VCI ????

Who's your Internet Service provider? Most of the time, the IP address, subnet mask, etc, is provided automatically by the ISP. Normally, all you need to do is plug it in, and if you've got DSL, get to the router's configuration page (how to do that is dependant upon the router model), and enter in your user name and password.

The thing is, you're doing more than adding a router to your network. When you network was originally setup, your ISP gave you a DSL modem of some type, and you connected this to your PC. Most small DSL routers, use an ethernet cable to connect to this modem and then your PC plugs into one of the router's switch ports. Now, you are trying to replace your ISP's DSL modem with the one in this router. Unless your ISP told you this router was compatible with their DSL service, it very well may not work at all. Most of the time, when these integrated routers are used,they are provided by your ISP. That saves them money because they only buy one device.

It wouldnt be oo bad if my computer could see the router on startup ..but it doesnt.

Why cant it see the router???

Ok, let's get technical for a moment. Just what do you mean by "see"? You said in your previous post that "picks up both network cards no problem". If you have each network card on each computer set up to get all ip settings automatically, and make sure you delete the ICS garbage from the one connection that you set up before, then you should be all set. Check all this and then reboot both machines and do this on each. Open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt". You won't see any output, but the information will be put in C:\ipconfig.txt. Then post the contents of each text file here and I'll look at them.

It wouldnt be oo bad if my computer could see the router on startup ..but it doesnt.

Why cant it see the router???

Hi there,

I am in like the same shit, or maybe worse.

Still, I recommend reading more technical stuff.
Then you could e.g. know that both PC's must have the same
Node Type for the network in order to be able to start sharing network
resources....
Also bear in mind that XP Home and XP Pro differ in FS.
Here are some links I found in myyquest to get file-sharing with two PC's,
one of them with XP Pro and the other 98 SE (Windo$s):

http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/guidshr2.htm
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net-update.asp
http://www.pcguide.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-13098.html
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/
http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

and lest but maybe best:

http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/getting-access-denied-in-network.html#Permissions

I wish you all the luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.