NOTE: speedstream is connected to my pc.

ok here is the deal. i have had these two working together before and it was great. i took off the linksys and was just running on my speedstream, now that i have a laptop i want to beable to pick up the wireless internet. however, when i go to connect then linksys and set up everything properly i cannot connect to the internet. all of the lights on my modem are on (green) except for the internet. and all the lights are on the router. when i type the modems' ip address and i try to connect the modem, i cant open the webpage. what am i doing wrong? can someone please help? any step by steps?

p.s. im running internet explorer.

please help. thank you very much

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

i am assuming the speed stram is the device/ modem that brings the internet to you.
IF so power down the modem, power down the router, wait 3 min power up the modem, connect the ethernet cable from the modem to the router. power up the router. connect any etehrnet cable from the router to any PC that requires a wired connection. on your wireless pc c go to network connection, look for your wireless device enable if it has a red X ( right click and choose enable) then right click again and select view available wireless connection.
connect to you wireless network, if you had set encryption you will need to know the pass code ( if this is not the first time connecting wireless with the PC it will remember the pass code.)

i am assuming the speed stram is the device/ modem that brings the internet to you.
IF so power down the modem, power down the router, wait 3 min power up the modem, connect the ethernet cable from the modem to the router. power up the router. connect any etehrnet cable from the router to any PC that requires a wired connection. on your wireless pc c go to network connection, look for your wireless device enable if it has a red X ( right click and choose enable) then right click again and select view available wireless connection.
connect to you wireless network, if you had set encryption you will need to know the pass code ( if this is not the first time connecting wireless with the PC it will remember the pass code.)

thank you for the help but i am afraid you mis understood. when my modem and router are hooked up together, i cannot get an internect connection. this is all surrounding my pc at this moment.

Give me a brief idea of what is going on

Give me a brief idea of what is going on

okay forget that the laptop was brought up. my pc connects to the internet perfectly fine without the Wrt54g linksys router. however when i attach the router to the modem, i cannot connect to the internet

Hello...

First of all, I think that you are not stating the correct information so that we, the readers, can have a better understanding of what steps you are taking to get a wireless connection on your laptop, which I am assuming has a wireless adapter that has been enabled at the wireless switch located on the laptop.

However before that there are other things to take into consideration because now you are creating a NETWORK between your router and your desktop, correct?

ok consider the following:

1. You cannot simply ttach your Linksys WRTG54 router to your modem and get a connection

2. You have to create what is called an SSID so that your modem and router can communicate with each other and allow the networking connections The SSID has to be the same on each computer you connect to the network, i.e, a desktop and a laptop.
SSID stands for Service Set Identifier. The user picks the SSID, although there is default one on your router setup page, usually. YOu should change to your own unique one.

Here is a google search page list that will help you understand more.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=TSHA,TSHA:2006-07,TSHA:en&defl=en&q=define:SSID&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

3. You have to broadcast the SSID in the router set up page. There is an option to not broadcast. Read more.

I hope i didnt misunderstand what you were trying to say or ask.

I hope this helps.

well that is what i need to do then, i have to create a connection between the modem, and the WRT54G. i am not worried about the laptop connecting right now, because once i can get the internet connection started, i think i should be okay. when i attach the linksys to my speedstream modem, i cannot get a connection what so ever.

This is a DSL modem, so you need to set up a DSL connection on the router.
The manual or CD will help you with this, but I'd suggest you start by re-setting the router to defaults first.

There is a specific order of connecting everything you have.
Start from the modem to the internet. Connect to the Speedstream unit. Then to the Linksys router and finally to your computer. The modem supplier may have a password to use with the router. There should be instructions to howto included. If necessary goto the Buffalo site and check if they also have a specific password for the Linksys router. My ISP provider gave me the specific info necessary. BTW, use wired connections until it is all up and running properly. With wireless, other factors such as the neighbour's connection can screw up yours or you find yourself leeching by mistake.
Doing it on a try and see basis doesn't work too well. I tired that and in the end had to call in the pros from Dover to sort it out.

when the linksys and the modem, are connected together i still cannot get a connection. my internet connect is fine on my pc, but one the router is added to the speedstream modem, i cannot access anything i always get no page display

Have you reset the router to defaults?
You are going to get exactly nowhere until you can access the router configuration.

NOTE: speedstream is connected to my pc.

ok here is the deal. i have had these two working together before and it was great. i took off the linksys and was just running on my speedstream, now that i have a laptop i want to beable to pick up the wireless internet. however, when i go to connect then linksys and set up everything properly i cannot connect to the internet. all of the lights on my modem are on (green) except for the internet. and all the lights are on the router. when i type the modems' ip address and i try to connect the modem, i cant open the webpage. what am i doing wrong? can someone please help? any step by steps?

p.s. im running internet explorer.

please help. thank you very much

go here http://www.linksys.com/connect

Download Easy Link Connect

Next leave your computer hook to the modem but not to the router and start the program once finished downloading, After that select New router, and from there it will you automatically setup your wireless setting for you also I suggest using WPA2 and using a custom key that you can remember for future reference.

http://www.myspace.com/2nd_city_designs

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.