I will like to know the requirement for setting up an ISP company. And also, what program must one study in order to know how to set up an ISP company?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

It's gonna be hard to set one up. Your also going to have subscribe to a higher level ISP{ in order to give your customers Internet Access.

Unless you're rich and extremely knowlegable with unlimited time and energy with several different and qualified people helping you, this cannot be done.

Just become a reseller and sell other isp services.

I work for an ISP and unfortunately what you want to do is hard. That said, you would be best to study computer science or computer engineering. It would beneficial for you to work at an ISP and get a handle on things like Cisco routers, TCP/IP, BGP, OSPF, and other related protocols. Then, at a minimum you will need to find a target market and co-locate routers/switches with the local phone company. Delivery of circuits in the U.S. is done with partnerships with local telephone companies, but you, as the ISP, would need to provide the actual DSLAM, CMT or whatever delivery technology you wanted to use. You then need to have backhauls - bandwidth that you connect to the Internet with. This would need to be T1 if you planned to offer dial-up; or, DS3 or higher if you plan to offer broadband. Keep in mind that you will need to have backbones for every ratecenter you want to offer service in. We offer a ratecenter in a single city and our two 100Mb/s lines cost about $10,000USD a month.

-Jack

I work for an ISP and unfortunately what you want to do is hard. That said, you would be best to study computer science or computer engineering. It would beneficial for you to work at an ISP and get a handle on things like Cisco routers, TCP/IP, BGP, OSPF, and other related protocols. Then, at a minimum you will need to find a target market and co-locate routers/switches with the local phone company. Delivery of circuits in the U.S. is done with partnerships with local telephone companies, but you, as the ISP, would need to provide the actual DSLAM, CMT or whatever delivery technology you wanted to use. You then need to have backhauls - bandwidth that you connect to the Internet with. This would need to be T1 if you planned to offer dial-up; or, DS3 or higher if you plan to offer broadband. Keep in mind that you will need to have backbones for every ratecenter you want to offer service in. We offer a ratecenter in a single city and our two 100Mb/s lines cost about $10,000USD a month.

-Jack

Thanks for your information Jack. So does that mean while I am studying Telecommunication Engineering, I will know little or nothing about setting up an IPS on my own? If yes, then it will really cause me a lot since I have to change my program and start all over again in Computer Science or Engineering. Is there not any other short course I can take to equip me this field? If there is one please let me know. Thank you once again.Cheers!

As long as you are willing to learn on your own also you'll be fine. I have a friend who started an ISP in the 90s and he never even went to college. You will need to do a lot of reading. I'd recommend you get a copy of "Computer Networks" by Tanenbaum to help you along your path to starting an ISP. You might also consider a Cisco CCNA and CCNP as a route to gaining better knowledge.

Cheers,
Jack

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.