i'm not sure if this has been tried before but it seems logical to me. If you had two modems and two phone lines. One modem would be set to incoming bytes and the other modem for outgoing bytes. This would free up resources on both modems thus making internet usage 2x faster? If anyone has done this please post! (i live in an area that won't have broadband access for many years :eek: )

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

There are many reasons it won't work, many of which would be quite complicated to explain about BGP, packet headers, and return routes.

Instead lets consider your bigger problem, you are on dial up!

For the cost of two pstn lines you would probably be around the cost of an ISDN BRI, give or take a little. A BRI uses a normal phone line to create two 64k data channels (different frequencies) and another channel to controll traffic between the two data channels. Effectively you will get a logical 128k circuit on a phone line that may only get you 56k with a modem.

If you want to check it out you should call your local phone company and see what they offer. Worst case you need to get them to provide the ISDN and another ISP to give you an access number. Either way you will want to buy your own router and skip the monthly rental charge.

If you have questions feel free to post them here or IM me. If you want to know what Alicia Silverstone has to say about ISDN you can try this link http://www.routergod.com/aliciasilverstone/

There are many reasons it won't work...

Er, um... huh??

There are actually two technologies which will do this; one is called "modem bonding" and the other is called "modem teaming". Modem bonding needs to be supported by your particular ISP; modem teaming does not, but it does require special software. The following article gives a brief description of each technology; a Google search for the terms will give you much more info:

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2001/20010101/login/main1.htm

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.