I am trying to get connected with my sisters apple router next door. She has the router in use with both her apple computer and laptop. I use to be able to connect with my wireless laptop but now I can't. Don't know what changed. My laptop shows a strong signal and when I look at the networks in the area, I see hers but i can't cconnect. HELP!!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hello and Welcome to Daniweb,

1. Have you got the correct password???
  2. Have you recent install any software on your computer???
  3. Has she done anything to the setup??
  4. Has she changed any settings at all??
  5. Have you changed any computer settings at all??

Thanks,

Cohen :)

other then any updates when its pops up . where do I begin to check what I need to do?

other then any updates when its pops up . where do I begin to check what I need to do?

Answer my questions above and then we can continue :)

Cohen :)

I am guessing you are running xp?

first, ask her if she has added a secure key. I am guessing that she has - probably to keep you (and others) out? :-)

XP and previous versions of Windows do not automatically configure the security settings. It must be done manually.

XP instructions:
First look closely at the wireless router in the Wireless networks dialog(start-control panel-network connections-wireless). does it say secure connection, and have a little padlock? you will need to find out the following from your sister.
network authentication(128bit, wep, wpk, wpk2 etc)
security type (aes, tkip etc)
and the network key(password)

go to the sidebar in the wireless dialog, go advanced settings, go to the wireless tab, click on her router, click properties, and all that info you have goes in the boxes.

If you cannot get that information then I would suggest that you should not be trying to access that router in the first place. Note that DaniWeb does not support such conduct in anyway shape or form.

Let me know how you get on...

in the wireless

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.