Hello,
I am presented with a problem with my LAN configuration.
I've mentioned the problem with wi-fi networking in a previous thread.
Since that option was not available becoz of the cost of setup and administration was tremendous we here have decided to adopt a more conservative hard-wired method.
The thing is its a 2 Mb/s DSL line which is plugged into a hub and all the computers connect directly to a hub.
Most of the people here download torrents all the time which can cause the speed of browsing to be quite low at times.
What my question is that , is there any way to limit bandwidth for users so that a particular amount of bandwidth is always free at any particular moment.
We dont have a server. Also , it would be very hard to install software on each network user's computer. So is there any way to configure a hub so that it always allots only a particular amount of bandwidth to a particular user ??
Thanks guys for helping me time and again.
Regards
Drmac

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

I think that if you need to move to a switch for that, rather than a hub. the reason is that a switch is far more efficient at data transfer - a hub kindof sends all data everywhere and all pc's pick it up and ignore what is not thiers, whereas a switch employs packet sniffing to only send bandwidth where it is supposed to go.

http://www.networkclue.com/hardware/network/switches-vs-hubs.aspx

explains it well.

you want one with bandwidth monitoring. I could not recommend one, I do not know what your networking requirements are.

Yeah you need a router. Hubs are crap. Why a hub? thaught they died out in the nineties...

You can use a thing called QoS (quality of service)

Alternatively just change your it policy to not allow torrenting. If anyone gets caught, reprimand them. Thats what most businesses do.

I am guessing it is a varsity or similar. and a router is a switch that connects different networks together. they are all on the same network, so a straight switch should be fine. and BTW Wireless is cheaper to set up and implement (if you have a clue or two) IMHO

router is a switch that connects different networks together.

Technically thats a gateway or a bridge, although are technically right because by definition a router is these too

JB: I know, but for the purposes of it's all G.

(legal stuff I am adding to protect the DW community)

drmac: just so yoou know. Daniweb does not endorse any illegal activity, and it considers torrents as such. For that reason I would recommend that once your setup is sorted, you should add protocols to prevent torrent downloads. this can be done by adding torrent sites to your firewall block list. if you want to stop them at the entrypoint then you need either:
a router (has a firewall you can config)
or
to configure your connection to run through a proxy server that will filter the traffic. many sites do this free.

drmac: just so yoou know. Daniweb does not endorse any illegal activity, and it considers torrents as such

Dont be so quick to dive in. I dont warn peple until they mention music or something

There are many legal uses of torrents. Torrents are good for opensource projects for example as they save money on servers and bandwidth while following the open share and share alike philiosophy. Thats why youll find for most linux ISOs etc... the preferred download method is a mirror or bittorrent.

Hey guys thanks for your valuable insight...
Will check up on the info you guys have provided and get back.
special thanks to Hotmatrixxx... this is the second time u are taking out the time :) !
Regards
Drmac

Dont be so quick to dive in. I dont warn peple until they mention music or something

There are many legal uses of torrents. Torrents are good for opensource projects for example as they save money on servers and bandwidth while following the open share and share alike philiosophy. Thats why youll find for most linux ISOs etc... the preferred download method is a mirror or bittorrent.

hey JB. I guess I should have left it for you. I just wouldn't want to see a great forum shut down for something silly. and yes, that is an awesome application for torrents. Had wondered why you hadn't bitten, though. thx.

Yeah, no problem :)

I appreciate the sentiments of u guys..
am totally anti-piracy kind of person too...
And of course , with the lefal issues that torrents pose , it can be a dangerous issue...
will make sure i dont post nething related to tht again...
cheers to moderators and people like hotmatrixx who are always ready to help out people like me :) !!

hows the config?

actually, I read your first post again.

JB is right - why a switch? a switch will do it, but a router gives you more power again, like an inbuilt firewall, filtering, QoS, and if you grab a wireless one, then Wireless Networking as well! (although there are WLAN switches, too.)

so where are you at?
and how many pcs are connected to this thing, anyway?

yes, i too would reccomend a router, for around 50 bucks for one that will fulfil all your needs. it will give you a better qualty line while providing you with security AND qos (quality of service) which as mentioned before is what you want

qos gives you the option to allow a specific amount of badwidth AND to give a port priority over another port...

eg if you were running a web server, you would give the server priority over the people downloading torrents...

while ( ! ( succeed = try() ) );

i got the setup u guys recommended and i now have a switch instead of a hub...
but still i dont have a clue to how can i configure it...
my requirements are these..
its a 2 Mb/s line and i just want config so that 10 users can browse the net easily... ***its considered good by standards here in russia atleast where i am... 150 kms from moscow***
also , please suggest settings to stop torrenting...
One more thing...
theres another problem that i have come across...
the users here get the net thru LAN and then share it via wireless so unauthorized(read non-paying) people get access too.. is there a way to disable DHCP on all machines except the router itself ?!!
please reply guys !
Help appreciated...
thanks
Drmac

DHCP IS disabled on the other machiens, the router is the only one with DHCP unless it get's it's internet from another PC. your set up is real easy to fix BUT I NEED TO KNOW what is plugged into where. my first question was WHAT IS YOUR SET UP? and until that is answered i can be of little use to you. one DSL line into the building. it plugs into a what? then what plugs into that? how many people plug into where? how may are wireless? will you even need wireless once this is set up? wireless can be
A) turned off so noone can poach it
B)passworded so only people who know it can get on. some routers (flash ones) can stop torrents but few and far between.

some routers (flash ones) can stop torrents but few and far between.

my linksys home router cost £30 two years ago and can...

its a WRT54G C (dunno if they make that one anymore)

Okays
This one is an answer to hotmatrixx... you needed to know the setup.
Here is it all..
i logged in the DSL router
and copied the product information tab for you
its an Acorp thing
and direct copy pasting ,
"Product Information
Model Number Sprinter@ADSL LAN422
HW Revision Unknown
Serial Number none
Ethernet MAC 00:14:2B:10:8C:FA
DSL Default MAC 00:14:2B:10:8C:FB
Software Versions
Acorp Firmware V.2.0.01.RU.04042007
Gateway 3.7.1B
ATM Driver 7.00.01.00
DSL HAL 7.00.01.00
DSL Datapump 7.00.04.00 Annex A
SAR HAL 01.07.2c
PDSP Firmware 0.54
Boot Loader 1.4.0.4"

Is that all u need to know ?!
the other info is that THIS router is connected to a switch that is connected to 12 other computers.
IS there a way to speed up things on a certain computer by alloting it a certain amount of bandwidth at all times ?!
and about that sharing thing..
buddy , i think u didnt get my point..
the people get connection through THIS router and then share it via wireless with others.
so in essence more people are connected then the only 10 tht are supposed to be...
get it ?!
thanks for ur insight and help so far all !!!
especially hotmatrixx
keep writing !

how we try the best to get new software developer,short description about the work then i try the best ,thank for your future explanation

@drmac
It looks like I dropped this thread accidentally, some time ago. I am really sorry - I must have missed the email or something.

do you still want help with this? y/n?

one quick idea
If you were willing to spend a little money, buy a very cheap box (no monitor needed once it is set up)

connect it to the net
connect the switch to it - so that it sits between the internet and the network. enable ICS (internet connection sharing) - use the networking wizard in XP/whatever on this 'server'. disable dhcp on the switch.

you can then control the maximum speed to independant IP's or MAC addresses.
start by blocking everyone. if they want access, then they have to give you their mac address. you can limit and monitor individaul speeds per user, based on time of day, amount they have used in a time period, etc. Awesome program.

http://www.softperfect.com/products/bandwidth/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.