A- linux
B-win2k3
D- win xp home
X1/X2- win2k3

A is my gateway/194.186.0.1, secondary NIC x.x.x.9 connects to my ISP
B uses x.x.x.2
D uses x.x.x.5
X uses x.x.x.3 and x.x.x.4 (2 NICS on-board)
A,B,D,X are connected to a switch

A can ping to A,B,D
B can ping B,A,D
D can ping D,A,B
X1 can ping X1
X2 can ping X2

D is a test machine with the wire normally used on X1.
So X1 has been replaced by D to test the line/switch(port)/..

Drivers have been reinstalled and also updated.

---
i can connect from various other systems to the linux, including one that uses win2k3 also.

I know for sure my tcp/ip (static ip, gateway,dns) settings are filled in correctly.
Cable is ok and there are 2 onboard NIC's, both don't work so i guess it;s software.

I was on the internet with it, so it worked fine untill i restarted after having installed and removed a few things.

I think i have installed something that blocks or i have removed something that allows incoming pings.

Any suggestions on what could block or is there a tool to see if it's getting blocked?

Any suggestion on how to solve this is appreciated.

added 16/11/2003. I can't ping anything from X1 or X2 and they can't be pinged from other machines. switch has been switched off and on. And on the cable the laptop was put to test the cable/link to the gateway. I also tried using the ip of the laptop on the machine with the NIC's X1 and X2. And it used to work until a restart.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I feel like I'm in an algebra class! So who CAN'T ping who?

A- linux
B-win2k3
D- win xp home
X1/X2- win2k3

A is my gateway/194.186.0.1, secondary NIC x.x.x.9 connects to my ISP
B uses x.x.x.2
D uses x.x.x.5
X uses x.x.x.3 and x.x.x.4 (2 NICS on-board)
A,B,D,X are connected to a switch

A can ping to A,B,D
B can ping B,A,D
D can ping D,A,B
X1 can ping X1
X2 can ping X2

D is a test machine with the wire normally used on X1.
So X1 has been replaced by D to test the line/switch(port)/..

Drivers have been reinstalled and also updated.

---
i can connect from various other systems to the linux, including one that uses win2k3 also.

I know for sure my tcp/ip (static ip, gateway,dns) settings are filled in correctly.
Cable is ok and there are 2 onboard NIC's, both don't work so i guess it;s software.

I was on the internet with it, so it worked fine untill i restarted after having installed and removed a few things.

I think i have installed something that blocks or i have removed something that allows incoming pings.

Any suggestions on what could block or is there a tool to see if it's getting blocked?

Any suggestion on how to solve this is appreciated.

if you do not restart a switch after pluggin and unpluggin things the mac tables will not be cleared ;)

id suggest gettin a router

Well, considering this is an alphabet soup as noted by cscgal, I think that a little more information on this problem needs to be added by the original poster.

Although I agree with Zachery's suggestion on the switch, I don't see why a router is needed unless the A (194.186.0.1) Machine is not routing, or you like entering all the routing info on all your machines manually. =8)

But I digress. From the information that I culled from the original post, it looks like the windows firewall may have been turned on for the Win2k3 Box with two NICs. Were windows updates (like security stuff maybe) installed prior to the reboot that caused the problem?

In any case, goto network properties, open each of the adaptors properties, and disable windows firewall (for testing purposes only, of course) and then try pinging from and to.

Just my half cent worth of info.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.