Hi everyone,

I need some comments regarding this network diagram I just made in about an hour.

I know a lot of the little details are not there (like router brand and model, and same goes for the servers) but these aren't the main concern for me right now (although suggestions would be welcomed ;) )

Just look at the overall design and let me know if I'm missing something (I'm sure I am)

Here's the link to the full sized design
http://www.ocwire.com/network.jpg

Ok then, thanks and Ciao for now.

PS: Sorry to Mods if this is the wrong place to open this thread :confused:

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Looks good to me except for the hub in 1st floor location. I would use a switch. The text isn't real clear on my pc so perhaps I'm reading it wrong.

I would use the term "Core Switch" but that is very trivial.

Strangely I would drop the "Enterprise" off the router label.

If any of those uplinks are fiber or gigabit I would use a different color to show a difference in media or speed.

As far as a pure design comment, why a router and a firewall instead of a three interface firewall with Inside, DMZ, and Outside interfaces?

All in all, nice job!

Wow those were quick :)

Thanx guys, I was working on it just now and I found a few things I'd like to change already. I'll take your suggestions into account once I get back into it.

cmwood

I was also not sure about the 1st floor hub, but I went with a bridge now, maybe I'll make it a switch .. I think I need to read up on these things again.

w1r3sp33d

I too was not happy with the firewall and router state, I was thinking of a router with firewall functionality .. let's see.
The Core switch seems interesting. I might actually use that.

Again, thanks to you both.

I'll update the image once I can't find any more parts I can change.

Cheers and ciao for now.

BTW, I forgot to mention that each of the 4 departments (subnets) would have 30pcs and not 3 only :)

cheers.

I wish my network looked that nice. Unless you don't want to double up on the cabling through the floor I wouldn't bother with the 1st Floor hub / switch between the department switches. That way you have a spare in case your main switch fails. That happened to us about a year ago, and crippled our entire network for the two days it took the contractors to replace it :)

I wish my network looked that nice. Unless you don't want to double up on the cabling through the floor I wouldn't bother with the 1st Floor hub / switch between the department switches. That way you have a spare in case your main switch fails. That happened to us about a year ago, and crippled our entire network for the two days it took the contractors to replace it :)

Yah good point there, but I really didn't want two cables running between floors. Besides, I've planned for extra cables (a lot extra) and each of the switches will probably have at least 4 ports free (if not more) so all in all I think it shouldn't be a problem to run cables across and get the network back on at least temporarly should any switch fail.

Anyway, thanks to all for the comments and I've replaced the image already with a newer one. I'd still like to hear what people think but at this point this design is out of my hand already, my work is done :)

Ciao for now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.