Right im a student living in Wales with 6 other students, we all use the internet regulary for our work and have a shared internet package (1.1Mb Wanadoo using a speedtouch modem). This was shared through an Ethernet network hub through a host computer. We had a few problems setting this up but after a while we got it working and all the computers had internet access, and everything has been fine up untill now, from last September untill now.

The owner of the host computer, the one which the Speedtouch modem is connected to, decided to purchase a new motherboard and thus had his harddrives wiped and has had to install from the start again; from this point the internet no longer will be shared, it still though connects fine for the host computer. We use the MSHOME as our network domain name and all computers are identically set up, the network functions fine all computers can file share. The computers also all recognise that there is a shared Internet connection available over the network available to them, however they will still not connect. We have tried reseting all the network settings from scratch and turning off all the Firewalls, and I'm at a loss. If anyone has any ideas, however trivial please let me know, we all have a lot of final year work to do.

All the computers run Windows XP most on Service Pack 2 and one computer runs on ME. This worked before so I know it can again, very annoying.

If you require any further information just email me.

Kind regards, Ryan Hughes.

Can you ping the internet from any of the computers? Why aren't you using a router instead of running through a host computer... it sounds like you're using broadband so sharing the connection via a router makes much more sense.

Can you ping the internet from any of the computers? Why aren't you using a router instead of running through a host computer... it sounds like you're using broadband so sharing the connection via a router makes much more sense.

Right the modem we use is USB based, we cant afford (being students) to go out and purchase a router, if I am understanding this correctly.

Cheers, Ryan.

Forget it - I just fixed it needed to reinstall the USB modem drivers.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.