Hey all
Need help with this.. I just bought a AirLink 802.11g Wirless USB 2.0 Adapter 54mbps which i want faster speed and was using A Dell TrueMobile 1150 wireless Adapter 11mbps
The other comp that i connect is DSL , D-Link (Dl-614+) 2.4GHz wireless broadband router.. why is my Airlink still 11mbps connecting to the Dlink
Is it that the Dlink Slow or the DSL?? If i need faster connection.. Should I get a new DLink or what??
NEED HELP Plz...

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Your Dlink is 802.11b = 11Mbps max

What is your DSL access rate? I am still running 11Mbps wireless because my cable modem is limited to 3Mbps anyway. This is pretty much the norm most places right now.

O ic Thx for the help
I m not sure about my DSL cuz i didn't order it or set it up.. but what it saids up there is that DSL 10m - 100m 645 series.. No idea :-|

No prob.

The LAN port may be a 10/100 port, most ADSL runs 1.5 Mbps on the WAN side.

If you are within 12,000' of the CO you may be able to hit 6.3Mbps if you pay extra. Even then the DSL would still be the choke point, not the wireless.

The funnel analogy.

\*****54Mbps*****/
|\**************/|
||\************/||
|||\***11Mbps**/|||
||||\*********/||||
|||||\*******/|||||
||||||\*****/||||||
|||||||\***/|||||||
|||||||||*|||||||||
|||||||||*|||||||||
|||||||||*|||||||||
|||||||||D|||||||||
|||||||||S|||||||||
|||||||||L|||||||||
|||||||||*|||||||||
|||||||||*|||||||||
|||||||||*|||||||||
****INTERNET****

Strictly speaking, the guys are right about the choke point. You DO have an 11 Mbps link between your card and the router but there's only DSL bandwidth coming over that link. Getting a 54 Mbps link won't help you, you'll have a faster link between the card and the router but you will still only have DSL speed.

Another but...even if you had a high-bandwidth backhaul, your setup wouldn't work. I looked up your router and it's only a 802.11b router, which is 11 Mbps. Your card must be a 802.11g card but it hasn't got anything to connect to. Most 'g' cards will also connect via 'b' so this is what you get because that's all the 'b' router has to give.

If you are using a single computer, the 54 Mbps link might help if you are at distance, depending on the distance and inteference on the link. A 'g' link will not travel as far as a 'b' link but if there is any interference, you might be able to connect in the backyard, for example, with the 'g', whereas the 'b' might slow down to less than the DSL speed. This is only theoretical and depends on many variables. But interference and distance definitely affect the speed of the connection.

Bottom line is: if you want a 54 Mbps link between your 'g' card and the router, you have to get a 'g' router...and it probably won't do you a bit of good...you'll still be stuck with DSL speeds!

zeroth

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.