My wireless router hasnt worked since our power outage last tuesday. I've tried resetting and turning both modem and router on n off. Only way I can connect to internet is if I connect directly to modem. I've tried to go to routerlogin.net and i couldnt get the page to open. also tried 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1 NETGEAR wants $99 for a year tech support subscription since my 30 day warranty expired. Comcast said its not on their end. I have W-Vista. When I connect the labtop to the modem internet works. Usually the cable goes from the modem to router. When I do that, signal strength is excellent but it says "Local only" and not Local and internet. The "i" icon lights up in yellow. Besides the internet port there are 1-2-3-4 lines that are also there. None of the numbers light up. Yesterday the 3rd line lit up in blue but now it doesnt. Its a netgear wpnt834 router.
HOw do I know if the router is shot? I am a college student and need internet like I need air lol. yes I know sad. I'm hoping my knight in shining cyber can save me!!!!! ARGH... I'm about to pound on my router with my 9 iron..... Help!!!
~SoozieQ :'(

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

well that all depends if you connect to the router with a cat 5 cable does it connect and get the ipaddress / dns / and gateway from the router ?

My wireless router hasnt worked since our power outage last tuesday. I've tried resetting and turning both modem and router on n off. Only way I can connect to internet is if I connect directly to modem. I've tried to go to routerlogin.net and i couldnt get the page to open. also tried 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1 NETGEAR wants $99 for a year tech support subscription since my 30 day warranty expired. Comcast said its not on their end. I have W-Vista. When I connect the labtop to the modem internet works. Usually the cable goes from the modem to router. When I do that, signal strength is excellent but it says "Local only" and not Local and internet. The "i" icon lights up in yellow. Besides the internet port there are 1-2-3-4 lines that are also there. None of the numbers light up. Yesterday the 3rd line lit up in blue but now it doesnt. Its a netgear wpnt834 router.
HOw do I know if the router is shot? I am a college student and need internet like I need air lol. yes I know sad. I'm hoping my knight in shining cyber can save me!!!!! ARGH... I'm about to pound on my router with my 9 iron..... Help!!!
~SoozieQ :'(

There is usually a reset button on the back of the router. Read the manual to locate it, if manual not available, it is usually a small opening that TOOTHPICK or other small pointy device can be inserted to reset.

I suggest that you start with a reset to factory default and then go from there.

ALSO most broadband routers want to connect to ONE computer, this can be faked, by resseting the router and then resetting the modem. The modem may pick up the mac address of the router and make a connection to the ISP once this has happened. Make sure that your router has been setup after resetting to factory default.

Router should be one and settings correct per the ISP for internet (WAN).
Then reset the ISP modem to see if connection can be made, if it does not connect after modem reset, then perform a power down then up of the router to see if connection can be made.
If no connection, go into the router browser interface and check the settings to connect to ISP.
If this still fails --- connect the ISP modem directly to a PC and see if you can connect per ISP instructions, if not the Modem may have failed, if Yes, then the router may have failed.

router failed. I ended up buying a new one *sigh* thanks for taking the time giving me suggestions tho! =) Appreciate it
SoozieQ

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.