I have a Netgear wireless router and wireless card. I'm able to access the internet if my WEP key isn't set. However, once I set the WEP key on the router and my wireless card, I receive a message saying that my computer doesn't have an IP address. Has anyone had success setting a WEP key?

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Has anyone had success setting a WEP key?

Obviously the WEP-key entered in your network configuration does not fit the one that is active in the router.
Or do you get any kind of message like "Connected with <SSID>, Signal strength: good, Transfer: 54 mBit"?

If you do get connected, then you either have to:

-Tell your router to be a DHCP server

-give an IP adress to your wireless card

Michael

Obviously the WEP-key entered in your network configuration does not fit the one that is active in the router.
Or do you get any kind of message like "Connected with <SSID>, Signal strength: good, Transfer: 54 mBit"?

If you do get connected, then you either have to:

-Tell your router to be a DHCP server

-give an IP adress to your wireless card

I do get a message telling me I'm connected to the network, my signal strength is excellent and my transfer is 54 mbit. My router is set up to be a DHCP server and my wireless card tells me it have an IP address that falls within the range of my router.

Now I'm being told that the network did not assign a network address to my computer, so I still cannot connect to the internet. All of my settings seem to be correct but the network isn't assigning an address to my computer.

thanks!
Julie

my wireless card tells me it have an IP address that falls within the range of my router.

Now I'm being told that the network did not assign a network address to my computer,

That doesn't make sense to me... Do or do you not get an IP from your router??

If you do not get an IP from your router, then either DHCP is deactivated or the WEP key in your WLAN card is invalid! If nothing works, try it without encryption.

Michael

Some cheaper WiFi routers combine the mac address filtering and the WEP part. Make sure you do have your MAC address set right if you enabled it.

Load Netsumbler and OPENXTRA. Watch if the SSID is matching, and the trength is real. Also make sure you are connected to your community... On OPENXTRA watch that you are actually encrypting the traffic.

Some dumb software designer decided that WEP keys should be entered in two different ways, ASCII or hex. make sure you ONLY enter it in HEX. This is because the hex conversion for some odd reason does not always match from manufacturer to manufacturer. Don't ask me why but I have seen it.

Alternatively - run a cable :-D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.