EDIT: I should note that my router model is WRK54G. The NIC model is WPC54G.

I recently bought two Linksys 802.1g Wireless NICs and a Linksys 802.1g Wireless Router for my simple home network, and I am having difficulties. According to the manual and packaging, this network should be compliant with 802.1b standards, because of auto sensing/detecting technology, but my router, if I set it up manually, does not seem to receive any packets from my ISP through the modem. The connection from computer to router seems to work fine. If I put in my wired Acer NIC card after unplugging the wireless Linksys NIC, and set up my router using the automated install on the CD that came with the product, the internet connection works fine after that. I ONLY get the problem after resetting the router and setting up the network manually through the web interface. If there are any troubleshooting steps I could take, please let me know. Thank you very much.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Have you made sure that you've manually configured the IP on each of the two PCs to IP addresses from the Linksys manual. Also you'll need to put the router IP for your default gateway. And if you get further problems connecting to the internet the DNS IP from your ISP.

My advise would be to set up the router wired first, and then start using wireless once you know the router ISP details are working.

There are a lot of other posts on wireless router set up, and if you cant find any advise there, add more info on what exactly you have done.

David

EDIT: I should note that my router model is WRK54G. The NIC model is WPC54G.

I recently bought two Linksys 802.1g Wireless NICs and a Linksys 802.1g Wireless Router for my simple home network, and I am having difficulties. According to the manual and packaging, this network should be compliant with 802.1b standards, because of auto sensing/detecting technology, but my router, if I set it up manually, does not seem to receive any packets from my ISP through the modem. The connection from computer to router seems to work fine. If I put in my wired Acer NIC card after unplugging the wireless Linksys NIC, and set up my router using the automated install on the CD that came with the product, the internet connection works fine after that. I ONLY get the problem after resetting the router and setting up the network manually through the web interface. If there are any troubleshooting steps I could take, please let me know. Thank you very much.

What are you changing in the router?

So, I need to manually configure the IPs on the PCs? That's odd, because the router is supposed to work as a DHCP host and provide IP addresses of it's own to any PCs connected to the network. At least, that's what I have it set up as. Basically, when I run the setup off the CD, it checks for internet connectivity first, then asks me to plug the router in, then the modem into the router. At this point, I get to configure the router (network ID, how I get my IP address, etc.), and when I'm done that, somehow it still works when I connect it via wireless. When I try to configure it manually, all I'm changing is my network ID, and I tell it to acquire an IP address automatically from a DHCP. At this point, I save the setup, and my connection is able to receive packets, but it does not send any (the connection from PC to router). I'm assuming that this results in the DHCP server not getting any response from the PC, so it discontinues communication or something like that.

Everything above is just for further clarification, I'm going for a trip next week, and when I come back, I plan to mess around with the router a little more, using your suggestions and a few of my own ideas. If it still continues to give me trouble, I'll send a reply back in this thread.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Slightly mis-understood. I thought you had a ADSL Modem / Router - hence the comment about setting up ISP details in the Modem / Router config.

I had no problems setting up my wired computer to my modem / router but had problems setting up my wireless laptop, and thought this could be similar circumstances. If you dont want to change the IPs manually, which whilst may not be required, wouldn't hurt the situation, you could check the DHCP is working using cmd prompt.

Run cmd - then at c:\ type "ipconfig /all" (without ") this should show your ip addresses for your PC, DHCP, DNS and default gateway. If all present and correct and you can ping your router, I can only think it could be a problem with your browser using this connection, or the modem is at fault

Sorry I couldn't be more help :(

I had this problem, may be related, may not...
DSL modem is also a DHCP server w/ a IP of 192.168.1.1 (default)
Router is a DHCP server w/ a IP of 192.168.1.1 (default)
So I changed router IP to 192.168.2.1, its DHCP starts assigning @ 192.168.2.100 with a max of 50 IP's.
The router and modem were bucking for IP assignments.
One more thing, I also assigned static IP's to my PC's for other reasons (mainly so they would not change), if you do do this, be sure that the static IP is out of DHCP server range, in my case 192.168.2.100-149, so my 2 pc's end in .60 and .61.
To determine if your DSL modem is a DHCP or not, look in your router config and somewhere under status should give you Internet IP, if it is 192.168.*.* then your modem has assigned a local ip to router, if it is somthing like 64.4.3.* then the modem simply passed internet IP to router and the modem is not a DHCP server.

commented: Good info would be easy to miss! +1

does anyone have the setup wizard for the subject router?
i downloaded the wizard off the linksys site and its for a WRT54G and i cant get past step 2, the router doesn't see the internet thru the router.

I need HELP!, I have a Wireless-G 2.4 Linksys Broadband Router and I am trying to configure it to work in my home office. I called technical support and they said they would have to charge me because the "free technical support" for this product has expired. (go figure). I have Broadstripe for my cable and internet and they do not provide help either! Help

I also need help. I have an existing Linksys Router WRT5462 setup with two laptops working fine. I am now trying to add a third work laptop. If I use the ethernet cable it works fine EXCEPT I CANNOT ping the http://192.168.1.1/ address. I am unable to get wireless. I have also tried the technique of REMOVING my network and re-adding it. But to no avail. I would love to be wireless so that I can work by the pool ;-)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.