I have just recently reinstalled WinXPpro and I noticed that my NIC card is only connecting at 10mbs instead of the normal 100mbs. I have updated my NIC drivers, checked everything else I know to check and still I can't get it to show 100T. It did show it at 100T before I reinstalled. I know it is not running 100T because it has effected my games and anything I download. I am on a shared T1 connection. My system is an Alienware Area51m laptop. 3.06Ghz P4. 768MB RAM. Radeon9000mobility.... Realtek RTL8139/810x NIC card, which of course is built into the motherboard. I'm currently running SP1 because I tried installing SP2 and it crashed my machine so where it wouldn't boot at all. So I have to stick with SP1, which is all I had before the reinstall. My IT guy at work said to do another reinstall of XP, BUT I want a second opinion since I don't really want to reinstall Again. Thanks in advance!

DragonboySX

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I have just recently reinstalled WinXPpro and I noticed that my NIC card is only connecting at 10mbs instead of the normal 100mbs. I have updated my NIC drivers, checked everything else I know to check and still I can't get it to show 100T. It did show it at 100T before I reinstalled. I know it is not running 100T because it has effected my games and anything I download. I am on a shared T1 connection. My system is an Alienware Area51m laptop. 3.06Ghz P4. 768MB RAM. Radeon9000mobility.... Realtek RTL8139/810x NIC card, which of course is built into the motherboard. I'm currently running SP1 because I tried installing SP2 and it crashed my machine so where it wouldn't boot at all. So I have to stick with SP1, which is all I had before the reinstall. My IT guy at work said to do another reinstall of XP, BUT I want a second opinion since I don't really want to reinstall Again. Thanks in advance!

DragonboySX

The nic will auto negotiate speed depending on the capability of the other device it's talking to on the network. A T1 line is only 1/10th of 10baseT anyway so it won't be slowing you down there. If your experienceing slow download and games trust me it's not the nic it's your shared connection or lack of resources for the OS.

Yes I know, However it Did Not run at this speed before, And it does this Anywhere I take it. To my girlfriends house (she has DSL) or work which is also a T1 plus it is slow just browseing the local network of about 13 other boxes, which are all on Cat5e and a Gig network. And as I said before this has Never occured before I reinstalled XP. Before I got sweet download speeds and awsome pings in games. Virtualy no lag on my end.. now anytime I have more than 4 other players in my screen the game goes to 8fps! Anyway it's looking more and more like I'm gonna have to reinstall. Thanks!

To give you an idea of what my connection speed is here is a test from testmy.net

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Connection is:: 3292 Kbps about 3.3 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)
Download Speed is:: 402 kB/s
Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/
Test Time:: Wed Mar 30 06:50:56 EST 2005
Bottom Line:: 59X faster than 56K 1MB download in 2.55 sec
Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 104.22 % faster than the average for host (dmisinetworks.net)
Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-RILAP5VNF

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::
Connection is:: 1373 Kbps about 1.4 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)
Upload Speed is:: 168 kB/s
Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/
Test Time:: Wed Mar 30 06:53:54 EST 2005
Bottom Line:: 25X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 6.1 sec
Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 73.36 % faster than the average for host (dmisinetworks.net)
Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-4TLUJWK27

That is pretty good but that is also tested at 7am so thats about as fast as I can go with little to no other traffic on the line. I just wish I could get my card to do 100T on the LAN!

DragonboySX :eek:

Ok if you right click my computer, choose properties, hardware tab. Click on Device Manager, locate your nic in the tree right click it and choose properties. Is there an advanced tab with a list of properties ?

If so there may be one like 'Link Speed & Duplex' highlight it with a one left mouse click, on the right will be a combobox of options and it's probably on Autodetect or 10mbps/Half, put it too 100mbps/Full and see where that gets you.

A DSL or T1 is 1mbps max and there is no DSL or T1 connection on the planet that can actually reach that maximun speed, your NIC at 10mbps can receive packets 10 times faster than the t1 or DSl can provide them, so being at 10baseT will never make your internet slow and this is not the cause of your problem. I imagine the problem maybe your nic is set at half duplex (one way at a time) as opposed to the more common full (both directions at the same time)

Bear in mind if your router is 10baseT and you force your NIC to 100 instead of auto detect you will have problems talking to 10baseT devices. But as 10baseT only devices are extremely rare if not non-existent these days this shouldn't be a problem for you.

Let me know what you find.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.