I wish to set up a network to transfer files between my XP SP3 desktop and HP Vista laptop. My desktop is connected by Ethernet to my Linskys modem. I also conected an Ethernet cable from my Laptop to the modem. On my desktop I ran the XP networking wizard and at one point I had to reboot and put the windows XP CD into the laptop I think.

Now I wonder what do I have to do to start transferring files? Where is my network? I couldn't find anything in the XP help file.

Your help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Chris

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Oh dear networks from scratch!

Try this ther eis a network wizard that can help.
Basically you have to have a connection between the machines (either ethernet cross over direct cable) or (ethernet blind cable through a router or ADSL modem) or via wireless.

Each of these systelm have theor own software and or glitches to confuse you.

right so noext ech machine (and in some cases ISP ADSL modem) hae to have theior own 'private' adresses (starting at 192<168.1.0 and going up by 192.168.1.1 + etc)

Once everythjing has its own unique address and cables all OK and firewalls turned off (or allowing these addresses) you whould be able to use the old DOS commands ( se command prompt) and 'Ping' trhe adresses to elicit a response. the jargon is when you get he msdos command prompt > you then type
ping 192.168.1.1 (or whatever addrss you used for toher computers) and you shud get the repsonse pa

oops! to continue
pacquets received 100%. If nothing received ther eis usually an electrical fault.
If all pacquets OK then the likely problem is a software one in windows.
BOL
M

ps I think networks are like moern cars OK when they work but like our peugeuot f***ing awful when they dont!

BOL
M

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and link. I will try and see how I get on.

Kind Regards
Chris

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.