The problem:
I have Desktop computer connected to my Motorola Cable modem by USB cable (I did not know how to set up the Ethernet connection, when I wanted to remove the USB driver and to set up the Ethernet connection with my modem, it did not want to work)... So, now I have also the Laptop computer (DELL Latitude D620) which I would like to connect to the Internet by sharing Internet connection? I have my Desktop computer equipped with one Ethernet card and running WinXP. The Laptop is also equipped with one Ethernet adapter. In addition, I have also an AT-FS708LE 8 port Fast Ethernet Switch (if it can be of help). Can anyone show me the procedure so I can make both of my 2 computers working on Internet?

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You required one more Ethernet card for in your desktop computer for sharing Internet connection.
connection:
1.First connect the cable between your desktop and Motorola cable modem.Check whether you are able to use internet on Desktop.
2.Now use another Ethernet card of desktop computer and connect cable between Ethernet card and your switch.Now go in properties of that Ethernet card.Select Advanced Tab and then click text box indicating internet sharing.
3.Now connect cable between your laptop and switch.

3.Now

The problem:
I have Desktop computer connected to my Motorola Cable modem by USB cable (I did not know how to set up the Ethernet connection, when I wanted to remove the USB driver and to set up the Ethernet connection with my modem, it did not want to work)... So, now I have also the Laptop computer (DELL Latitude D620) which I would like to connect to the Internet by sharing Internet connection? I have my Desktop computer equipped with one Ethernet card and running WinXP. The Laptop is also equipped with one Ethernet adapter. In addition, I have also an AT-FS708LE 8 port Fast Ethernet Switch (if it can be of help). Can anyone show me the procedure so I can make both of my 2 computers working on Internet?

Thanks in advance.

You'd probably want to avoid IP address clashing. I would never connect a switch directly to a cable modem. I'd connect a router instead (the switch can come off the router if you want). The router is the best place to do the internet sharing.

You would only require one ethernet port per computer, each plugged into the router. The router is plugged into the cable modem.

Simples.

The easiest way would be to get your self a cross over cable. connecting the to computers together .... make sure in same workgroup and under network connections give the computer with the internet an ip address of 192.168.0.1 and the other 192.168.0.2 ..... on the computer with the internet usb modem .... open my computer,,,, my network places,,, view network connections ,,,, right click on modem and select properties,,,, click advanced ,,, then Internet connection sharing tick all boxes ... click ok and ok again... restart... connect from pc with internet ,,, then try internet from other... this bypasses the need for a router .... the cross over cable

Hope this helps

Darren

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.