i want to setup a wireles network in a mall for 3 suites that are next to each other- i want to make it where just those 3 suites can access the wireless internet- i want to know how do i go about doin that-Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

It´s best to give us the specifications of your equipment first, like operating system, wireless router and cards, if you have one already, etc. The you will get specific info about which way to go.

i want to setup a wireles network in a mall for 3 suites that are next to each other- i want to make it where just those 3 suites can access the wireless internet- i want to know how do i go about doin that-Thanks

Get three Wireless Access Points or AP. Preferably 82.11g & 82.11b but definitely not just 802.11b capable. Make the APs you select also have a small switch/hub built into them. That is, you can connect wired devices, at least four.

Set up a trusted AP-to-AP connection between the three APs with 128bit WEP, hard code the SSID, and the MAC addresses of each AP in the other APs. turn of SSID beacon. If you are paranoid (like me) set up WPA using 802.11X & EAP, instead of WEP.

Connect the workstations with standard Ethernet 100Base-T.

Enjoy.

You might ask why am I suggesting you connect your workstations with hardwire... Very simple - look at where you are - a mall. Look at who frequent malls, and camp out on benches. Kids with nothing better to do. The probability of someone sitting front of your store, and cracking your WEP key (which takes about 10 minutes while drinking a slushy), then spoofing a MAC address is very very high! I know. I used to hang out in malls to discuss "stuff" with my buddies... The fewer targets you set up, the better it is.

If I was the store manager, I would just throw a cable over the wall above the drop ceiling...but that is just me... :cheesy:

dup. remove please.

yea i agree- i told him i would run the cable

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.