Member Avatar for jonnirhodes

Hi

I can connect to my network using my ethernet card or my wireless card, but when I open my browser (either internet explorer or mozilla) I am unable to browse the web - i just get the message saying that the page cannot be displayed. The same happens at other friends and at internet cafes....

The strange thing is that my antivirus software downloads updates no problem, and I am able to open the command prompt and ping any website at all with no problem

Also, if i dial up with my 56k internal modem, then I can use my browsers no problem.....

If anyone can help, then I will happily buy you a beer, cos this is really frustrating me....

I am using windows service pack 2, internet explorer 6 and en emachine m5312 laptop.....I can't think of anything that has changed since the last time i connected to the internet using the network, but i have been using dial up for the last 5 months due to the place i was living having no network.....

Hope someone can help

Cheers

Jonni

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

The one thing that comes to mind is in your browsers´ internet options. Check to see, under connections, if you have it set to ¨always dial a connection¨. Try setting it to ¨dial whenever a connection is not present¨and see if that fixes the problem...

Hi Z

Thanks for that, but yeah it is already set to dial whenever a connection is not present.

In a breakthrough today, I managed to get it to connect at an internet cafe. But for some reason it only works there - it wont work at other internet cafe's and wont work on my network like it used to!!!!

This is driving me nuts, and i am rapidly heading to a reinstall of everything if I can't sort it out...

Thanks though......

any other ideas???

Jonni

See, if maybe your network card is fialing, it could be failty and you need a new one considering your modem works just fine, just a lil hint ;) It also could be in your Internet Settings in your Browser, look to see if a proxy is set.

thanks for that, i guess it could be my network card, but the weird thing is that is happens with my wired card and my wireless - and i am able to connect to other computers and transfer files no problem - so i think the card is working ok. I am searching the microsoft site and have found some things about verifying the winsock settings, and reseting the defaults for internet explorer and also for tcp/ip - so i'll see if that helps me out - also might try renaming my internet logs thing as someone mentioned that zone alarm can sometimes affect this....will keep you posted....

Cheers

Jonni

hi there

I have managed to fix this problem, so if anyone wants to know, here is what i did....

If you have xp (perhaps other OS's have this too) there is a tool that you can use to reset the TCP/IP settings to their original settings. you can also reset the winsock files too...

You just have to go into the command prompt and use the netsh command, and all was happy and good for me, and now all is working well....

if you want more info, you can get in touch with me, or check out the following link to microsoft.....

to reset tcp/ip go to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357

to reset winsock2 files go to
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259/

Thanks for your help and time guys.....

Cheers

Jonni

hi jonni

i am having the same problem with my computer and tried to follow the instructions you have provided in the links but unfortunately i still cant get it! i think it might be due to my lack of understanding in IT> would you have the time to tell me in step by step version what you did? i tried to download the guided tutorial but it says something about my version even though mine is windows xp. so i'm stuck. will greatly appreciate your time.

hi again

its ok i've found the problem. a bit weird actually. my problem was actually with the DNS. my problem involved able to detect the LAN and internet but cannot browse internet.

i changed my DNS server addresses, instead of detect automatically, to put the same address of the ADSL settings (prior to access of ADSL the part where you had to set it up).
for me that was preferred address 203.50.2.71
alternate address 139.130.4.4

go to command prompt and ping 216.115.108.245
and then ping yahoo.com

for me i could ping yahoo.com but could not ping 216.115.108.245 (which is yahoo)

if you could ping both i think its even better, tho not sure.

reboot then all was good on the internet.

hi again

its ok i've found the problem. a bit weird actually. my problem was actually with the DNS. my problem involved able to detect the LAN and internet but cannot browse internet.

i changed my DNS server addresses, instead of detect automatically, to put the same address of the ADSL settings (prior to access of ADSL the part where you had to set it up).
for me that was preferred address 203.50.2.71
alternate address 139.130.4.4

go to command prompt and ping 216.115.108.245
and then ping yahoo.com

for me i could ping yahoo.com but could not ping 216.115.108.245 (which is yahoo)

if you could ping both i think its even better, tho not sure.

reboot then all was good on the internet.

hey i'm having this same problem with my laptop....it connects but i cant browse or use msn.... :( ....i dont really understand ur solution...woud u mind breaking it down for me a little more plz....really want to solve the problem :(

Hi Swiss,

First of all- welcome to DaniWeb :)

We ask that members not tag their questions on to a thread previously started by another member (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, troubleshooting steps you've already tried, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_policies

Thanks for understanding.

Due to the fact that the member who originally started this thread has not responded in over 1 year, and also indicated that his problem was solved, this thread is now closed.

In accordance with our posting rules, other members having similar questions or problems need to start their own threads and post their questions there.
In order to help us help you most quickly, please include as much information about your problem as possible in your posts.

If the member who originally started this thread wishes to have the thread reopened, please send your request, including a link to this thread, to one of our moderators via email or Private Message.

Thank you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.