Hi all,

I'm currently fixing a network that has a problem with the internet connect coming from the server. The server uses 2 lan cards that has similar ip addresses ex. 121.233.69.11 and 121.233.69.12 with DNS 255.255.255.0. The DSL connection is attached to the .11 LAN on the server and the .12 LAN is attached to the switch where all the other PCs and wifi routers are connected. I'm a using a customized HOTSPOT software to share the internet connection coming from the server but when i tried t0 connect from a winXP pc the OS provided an IP address that is not similar to the server which caused the WinXP pc not to connect to the server or the wifi routers.

Anyone who could help me out with this? Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Is the XP pc on the same IP range as the sever?

Hi all,

I'm currently fixing a network that has a problem with the internet connect coming from the server. The server uses 2 lan cards that has similar ip addresses ex. 121.233.69.11 and 121.233.69.12 with DNS 255.255.255.0. The DSL connection is attached to the .11 LAN on the server and the .12 LAN is attached to the switch where all the other PCs and wifi routers are connected. I'm a using a customized HOTSPOT software to share the internet connection coming from the server but when i tried t0 connect from a winXP pc the OS provided an IP address that is not similar to the server which caused the WinXP pc not to connect to the server or the wifi routers.

Anyone who could help me out with this? Thanks!

Let me guess, is the ip address something like 169.254.xxx.xxx?
If that's the case, it is coming from the advanced settings for you LAN card, which means Windows is giving you the IP address. Is the XP machine set for DHCP? If it is and cannot contact your DHCP server (via DNS) you will have your un-routable ip address. Also, do you have your server set up to route ip traffic to the second LAN card? You may already know this stuff and have it set, that is bridging LAN connections.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.