hi all i have been racking my brain for the last week and a half, i have uninstalled and reinstalled the nic drivers for the network with out any luck, the puter is a pavilion hp laptop running vista 32 bit. ip config/ all post :

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Jami-PC
Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-4C-45-90-5F
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-24-DF-36-9F
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8dec:36d0:24ee:8840%8(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.136.64(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201333540
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-0E-F0-DD-C2-00-1B-24-DF-36-9F
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{CA1606CE-639F-4969-8EF4-0D6A7251B016}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 14:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

please help

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

looking at the ipconfig your connected via a hard wired lan. As you know you are not getting an ip assigned to you by the DHCP server. Are you plugged into a router modem or what?
I'm assuming that you have tried to release and renew the ip with no luck.
I would hard code and ip and subnet mask that is on the same network as that of the router and log into the router and make sure DHCP is turned on. If your plugged directly into the cable modem I would reboot it then try again. if it fails I would call your isp.

its plugged into my router, my other 2 computers are both plugged into the same router and it works fine. so I don't believe it is a router issue. and yes ip renew and release does not work due to media disconnect. the message says can not complete due to media disconnect.

'Media disconnect' means that the cable is not plugged in or the cable or port is bad, as I'm sure you know. I do not see though where it says media disconnect on the hard wired port.
I do agree that if other systems are plugged into the router, then the router is fine.
With this info I would check the cable and replace it if I had a spare. Make sure you get a link light when the cable is plugged in. Make sure the cable is not a cross-over cable. Since your not using the other connections I would disable them for now and make sure the hard wired connection is enabled. I know you have checked to see if the device is work properly. After you disable the others and made sure the hard wired is enabled, make sure it is set to obtain an ip automatically. Try to release and renew again.

Question:
Is your router locked down to only allow certain MAC addresses?

its plugged into my router, my other 2 computers are both plugged into the same router and it works fine. so I don't believe it is a router issue. and yes ip renew and release does not work due to media disconnect. the message says can not complete due to media disconnect.

Mac Filtering is not enabled, link light is good. I do know that the cable works fine due to the fact that it worked on my other pc, I was hoping that, that was the issue, real simple and cheap fix lol. But yeah the cable is not the issue. the wireless and hardwired get the same response when trying to connect, only network local only, no net. I will try to disable the other connections and see what happens.

'Media disconnect' means that the cable is not plugged in or the cable or port is bad, as I'm sure you know. I do not see though where it says media disconnect on the hard wired port.
I do agree that if other systems are plugged into the router, then the router is fine.
With this info I would check the cable and replace it if I had a spare. Make sure you get a link light when the cable is plugged in. Make sure the cable is not a cross-over cable. Since your not using the other connections I would disable them for now and make sure the hard wired connection is enabled. I know you have checked to see if the device is work properly. After you disable the others and made sure the hard wired is enabled, make sure it is set to obtain an ip automatically. Try to release and renew again.

Question:
Is your router locked down to only allow certain MAC addresses?

ok renew is a no go still message :

an error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection : Unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

Mac Filtering is not enabled, link light is good. I do know that the cable works fine due to the fact that it worked on my other pc, I was hoping that, that was the issue, real simple and cheap fix lol. But yeah the cable is not the issue. the wireless and hardwired get the same response when trying to connect, only network local only, no net. I will try to disable the other connections and see what happens.

Hmm last thing I can think off.
under network connections hard code an ip address , subnet mask and dns for the Ethernet port. See if that lets you hit the internet.

ok renew is a no go still message :

an error occured while renewing interface Local Area Connection : Unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

Hmm last thing I can think off.
under network connections hard code an ip address , subnet mask and dns for the Ethernet port. See if that lets you hit the internet.

ok i have never done hard coding, how would i go about finding out what values to use for each?

You said you had another computer hooked to the router. If you do, go to run and type "cmd" to get to a command prompt. Once there type ipconfig /all . This will show you the systems' ip address, subnet mask, the ip of the DHCP server and DNS info. Write down the subnet mask and dns info and make a note of the ip. If the ip address is lets say 192.168.1.103 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 then you would use an IP that is higher with the same subnet mask and dns info. So you would use an ip of lets say 192.168.1.179 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

If you're running WinXP you would go to start, Control panel, then network connections. Right click on local area connections and click properties then Right click on TCP/IP and click properties. Change it from obtain an IP automatically and put in the info you noted. Do the same for the DNS.

If you're running Windows 7, then go to control panel and under network click the top one "I cannot remember right off the exact wording", then on the left, click change adapter settings.

ok i have never done hard coding, how would i go about finding out what values to use for each?

all is working, ty for your help =)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.