I use old computers that were given to me. ON one of them I cannot hook up my DSL modem as there is a network card blocking it. I have disabled the network card however, it didn't make any difference. Any suggestions?

Thanks \

Terry

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I'm not sure I understand your issue. You need a network adapter to connect to the DSL modem or router, right?

No. When I try to connect my modem to the computer, the modem will not make a connection to the server. The internet company said it is because there is a network card in the computer blocking the connection. I have disabled the network connection in the control panel, but it does not make any difference.

I have never seen a network adapter with the ability to "block" connections. There may be some software or configuration issues to work through.

First, lets make sure the hardware and wiring are set up correctly.

Most DSL modems connect to the phone line using a RJ11 connector. You would likely be asked to put filters on all your phones. From there they very. Most modems use Category 5 cables with RJ45 connectors(Ethernet patch cable) OR USB. Do not try to use both USB and Ethernet!!!!

You have two (or more) computers... Let's assume you will be using Ethernet. You will need a routing function on your network. If there are multiple ports, this is probably built into the modem. I will assume that this is the case. You need both computers connected to any two ETHERNET ports on the modem. If your network is different, let me know. I will post the next step separately.

Now, You said that you disabled the network card (also called a "LAN adapter," or "Ethernet Adapter."). You need to re-enable it and do the following on each PC:

Hold the windows key (it is between Ctrl and Alt) and press r
Type the following into the text box: cmd
Press ENTER
In the command window type the following: ipconfig/all>c:\ipinfo.txt
Open My Computer
Open drive C:
Open ipinfo.txt
Copy all the text and paste it here (for the one that will not connect, you will need to transfer it using a flash drive or type it out).

I am not sure I am making myself clear. The DSL modem connects to the computer just fine. When I open the internet I get an error message that the remote server is not responding. I called my internet company and they are the ones who told me it was a network card, I have no idea why the modem won't work on the computer. It works fine on my other computer. I am not trying to set up a network, I will use the other computer as a back up should my good one break.

Ok, the test I described will need to be done; it produces a report on the status of your network adapters. Here is what some of mine looks like:

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::594:4732:81f2:b507%8(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.144(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 07, 2010 8:42:19 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 08, 2010 8:42:19 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 134225087
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-0F-45-0E-61-00-1C-BF-93-95-C1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

This information says that my computer can get an IP address automatically (From DHCP at 192.168.1.1 and that id did get one (IPv4 at 192.168.1.144). Please look at you info and let me know what these addresses start with (when connected and LAN enabled)

OR

If you are using the USB interface, I need to know the information from that.

PLEASE forget about what they said the problem is! I will get you connected or find the problem and explain how to fix it. It may be that they are on the right track, but lets work though it a step at a time.

So ... we need to know how it is physically wired and the IP address of the connection. There are four numbers separated by periods in an Internet Protocol Address (version 4) ... it is called a dotted-quad. I just need the number (mine is 192). If you are using a USB interface, there may not be an address, but let's see.

When I do the cmd test noting happens. Here is what I get when I open ipinfo.txt

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ANITA

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-E9-75-58-73

PPP adapter www.basicisp.net:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 72.251.75.29

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 72.251.75.29

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 67.211.172.29

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Alright, it looks like you are using the USB connection and operating in bridged mode (though I am using an educated guess to determine that).

When you open Internet Explorer, do you get a white page (404 error)?
If so, try typing google.com in the address bar. let me know what the result is.

Now open a command prompt and type the following lines. After each line, press the ENTER key and note the loss% for each:

ping 67.211.172.29

ping 72.14.204.99

ping yahoo.com

I am not using USB connection. I tried that thinking I could bypass the network card but got the same results. When the modem is working there are 4 green lights lit, power, dsl, lan and internet. When I put it on the computer I want to connect only the power and lan lights are lit.

When I try to load the internet, I get the usual- page cannot be displayed. I then use diagnose connection problem and the answer is always call your internet provider.
I get the same page when I put google.com in.

All of the ping tests say - request time out over and over again.

I have also tried going into the BIOS files and click "load default setting" as this is supposed to restore the computer to factory defaults. It does not. This is an MPC computer.

The Internet light will come on when you enable your network card. The Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection has a status of disconnected this means it is still disabled, the driver needs to be updated, or the hardware is bad.

The tests we did were called echo requests ... It's like asking the host device at each address, "can you hear me now?" A timed out request is like silence on the other end!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.