Please pardon my lack of networking knowledge.

I am trying to figure out how to setup routing tables to connect to machines that are on a subnet on a different network.

My current machine is sitting on a network, we'll call it Net1: My IP is 10.44.76.X (subnet 255.255.254.0 - gateway 10.44.76.1)

There is a "test" network we'll call Net2. I can ping any machine on Net2, example IP is 10.42.227.48 or 10.42.227.22. Connected to those machines are the machines on the "subnet", we'll call Sub1. These ip's for example are 11.1.97.5, 11.1.99.20.

Is there a way to directly access the Sub1 machines from my machine on Net1 ? I thought perhaps setting up my routing table would be the ticket - but I can't seem to successfully add any entries.

Any suggestions on how to do this, and if routing is the proper way - what do I need to figure out to properly route the traffic? Normally I have to ssh from my Net1 machine to the Net2 machines and then from there ssh to the Sub1 machines.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

maybe u need a router to do your routing cause u do want to talk between network segments.

if you are the user of Linux then it is very easy to setup in a single network card but if you are user of windows then i prefer you to use router. routers are very useful to connect different network.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.