what is the format of MAC address??? how it is clssified???
is it all devices hav different MAC ADDRESSES???
R MAC addresses r divided based on country codes???
what is the MAC ADDRESS of router, printer,system etc.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

MAC address is the 'physical' address, burnt into your NIC. It's formated as hexadecimal like 00:1f:e1:c2:fc:4a. They are supposed to be all unique, that's how a layer 2 device finds your machine (such as a switch). However I've personally purchased a box of 20 NICs only to find out only 5 were even unique!

To be 'textbook' about it: all NICs should/do have a unique MAC address assigned to it.

The MAC of a computer, router, network printer, and so on all must exist as unique on that network in order to function properly. They should have the same format and my impression is that they follow strict IEEE or ISO standards regardless of what country you are in... I really don't know the answer accept that some devices might have proprietary standards that deviate.

Your question kinda confuses me.

you can reply what you didnt get?
each device has mac address for eg: printer,system and router.
how to differentiate the mac address of printer from that of system and router in network?

please tell me the format of mac address for printers , routers,computers.as i need to classify these devices based on mac address.

please give me the code to get ip address of all systems,router,switches on LAN network.

windows os
xp,Nt,vista

we have to write a program in java to fing ip and mac address of particular system,printer,router in lan??

then you need to post this in the Java forums Please. I thought you were asking what MAC was by your question

We don't give codes out, we expect you to do all the work, we just help you think about the problems in your code as you encounter them.

what is the format of MAC address??? how it is clssified???
is it all devices hav different MAC ADDRESSES???
R MAC addresses r divided based on country codes???
what is the MAC ADDRESS of router, printer,system etc.

Wel mac address is unique for every system.... and it represent inside the nic card..

Yeah... we went over that... they just want java codes to do something with MAC and IP.
.. lame.

BTW, I've totally seen NIC's with same MAC's, bought a box of them and only like five of them were different out of a total shipment. The manufacturer jacked it up I guess. It basically blew my mind.

how to differentiate the mac address of printer , system, router n switch???

they are all unique, but have the same format... NMAP is a good tool for that

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.