I know this can probably be done with Kermit or a similar app, but I'm looking for a very simple terminal that works over HTTP, and just accepts one full text string at a time, then displays the response from the server in a window. Optionally too, I'd like to be able to peruse the source code.
I tried to search through various test tools on the web, but did not see a simple app such as this.
The purpose for this, is that the server will be listening for input, then parse the entire string looking for certain words embedded in the string, for example:
show;list;aaa (using a split or explode command). I need this for Windows 7, currently.
You would type this in, then press a submit button, and the server would parse the string and send back text based on what you typed in.
I already have the server set up to do this, and that end is fully debugged.
It would need to allow the URL to be changed for various ports, outside (internet servers),
etc., and to have no encryption.

It needs two fields to be entered: the URL (for example localhost:8080 ) and then the text string (only needs one line). Then the output to be displayed on the same screen, or a separate pane. When entering the text, it would need to be submitted only after the entire line was typed in (and without using the enter or return key), but rather via a button.
If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

|
Here are your results: |
|
|
|
|
_________________________________________________ | _______________
Enter query: | | CLICK |
show;list;aaa_____________________________________| |__SUBMIT______|

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hello,

If your system is running linux you can install lynx which is a text based web browser.

Actually I was trying to emulate a system from work, and was hoping I could figure it out myself, but today I got help by delving into their system and looking at the code.
So far I wrote a simple console application, and it works fine, so I guess you can say I solved the problem.
The "server" is a simple listening device which waits for a stream (written in C#):

protected override void OnLoad(EventArgs e)
        {
            base.OnLoad(e);
            if (Request.InputStream != null)
            {
                var reader = new BinaryReader(Request.InputStream, Encoding.Default);
                var data = reader.ReadBytes((int)Request.InputStream.Length);

Then the later code determines what will be done with the input, such as looking up info from a database.
This is what finally worked fine as the "client":

public static void Main()
    {
        Console.Write("Enter Request String: ");
        var outputtext = "";
        string requesttext = Console.ReadLine();
        var request = WebRequest.Create("http://localhost:61138/Default.aspx");
        request.ContentType = "multipart/form-data";
        request.Method = "POST";
        string postData = requesttext;
        byte[] bytes = Encoding.ASCII.GetBytes(postData);
        request.ContentLength = bytes.Length;
        var requestStream = request.GetRequestStream();
        requestStream.Write(bytes, 0, bytes.Length);
        requestStream.Close();
        var response = request.GetResponse();
        if (response == null) return;
        var reader = new StreamReader(response.GetResponseStream());
        outputtext += reader.ReadToEnd().Trim();
        Console.WriteLine(outputtext);
        Console.WriteLine("Press <enter> to exit");
        Console.ReadLine();
    }
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.