I have an old moterola cable modem. I run a wired lan, but want to update and expand. So I by the Linksys cable gateway. I do all the connections. I punch on IE and comcast comes up with a help page. Says I can download new stuff. When I go to download, it tells me my server connection is non-existant. So I go on aol dial-up and talk to comcast. This is the run around I get:

Richard > I swapped out my motorola cable modem for a Linksys Wirless G Cable Gateway My mak address is 0013105064D9 What to do to get broadband up and running?
Kyle > Thank you for contacting Comcast, my name is Kyle.
Kyle > I am sorry that you are experiencing difficulties configuring your wireless gateway, however, I should be able to advise you with that.
Kyle > One moment while I access your account information please.
Kyle > And just to confirm, I am speaking with Richard ?.
Richard > Correct- I had to use my aol dial-up to get online
Kyle > Thank you.
Kyle > Also, to release account specific information, can I confirm the account number on your Internet account, the subscriber number on your Comcast statement, Richard ?.
Richard > I don't have a comcast statement handy- is there so other confirmation I could offer?
Kyle > In order to provide any account specific information, we would need to verify security through the account number, or the last payment date, and exact amount.
Kyle > Do you have any of that information?.
Richard > I wrote a check for 127.79 at the end of August for both cable and phone
Kyle > I see, a specific date would be needed to release any specific account information.
Kyle > Now, although gateways are not supported with the Comcast service, have you visited your Gateway manufacturer's website for the latest firmware, and configuration information to set up a DHCP connection on their equipment Richard?.
Richard > The directions with the equip was to install and call ISP provider with a mac address so the connection could be reconfigured. On the equip supported by comcast, this particular was listed with a manual
Kyle > Our network automatically logs Mac addresses so that your equipment can connect.
Kyle > However, it will need to be configured for a DHCP connection.
Kyle > As Comcast did not provide the Gateway, this is something that we do not have information for.
Kyle > However, in order to correctly configure the gateway, your manufacturer will have the information necessary on their website, or by speaking with their support directly.
Kyle > And is there anything else I can assist you with today, Richard ?.
Kyle > Then thank you for contacting Comcast, have a good night!.
Richard > When I log on to the home page, it asks me if I am a new or existijng customer. Then I hit a install download bar that just goes to the server does not support the page requeswted.
Kyle > Analyst has closed chat and left the room

The reason I wanted to upgrade is that I have some systems I would like to go wireless with- but comcast doesn't have much patience if they're are not renting you the equip. I also contacted Linksys- they asked me if I tried to rest the modem- I waited 20 minutes for their answer- so I did not do that - I just hooked my old equip back up. The labor involved is minimal- my frustration is that the people I pay for broadband and the people I bought equip from do not seem too competant- their help seemed listless and uninvolved. I guess I am asking for help and spenting too much time venting. Sorry for the later.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I would return the cable router, put the motorola back in and reboot it, get a ethernet router with wireless, plug it's outside port into the network port on the motorola, and try it again.

Basically the Motorola is the end of their responsibility, as long as they hand off a 10/100 interface and one routable IP, a wireless ethernet gateway should be all you need.

All right- back to the old motorola- I have a connection with my main computer only. When I reinstall my old hardwire Linksys router- i can not longer connect. Also, everytime my computer boots up I get an error message stating I a have "duplicate name on the network." Don't know where to go to correct this problem either.

Lastly, I have taken your advise- installed wireless router- but still have no connectivity with the wired periphials. My only connection is to run the cable directly into my main computer. My other two computers are useless for the internet.

Please advise

Let me check to ensure that you have hooked everything up correctly. Your setup should work as follows: Cable line with internet connects to your Motorolla Cable Modem, you have a network cable running from the Motorolla Cable Modem to the WAN port on your router (whether it is wireless or not), and you have a number of computers (more than one) hooked up to the router with network cables. Does this description match your setup?

I understand that you want to get wireless working, but let's ignore wireless for right now until we can make sure that your network is functioning correctly.

What router are you trying to use (please specify the brand and model number)?

The "duplicate name on the network" error message means that you have more than one computer using the same Window's network name. In order to change a computer's network name, right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the "Computer Name" tab, click "Change...", give the computer a name that will uniquely identify it (Den Compaq, Ben's Laptop, etc), select the Workgroup radio button, specify a workgroup name that you will use for all your machines (I usually use Home as my workgroup, but you can use whatever you want), click OK, accept any dialog box that pops up, and repeat the process for all the other machines on the network.

Also if you plug your pc into the motorola and it works, then you plug in the router without rebooting the motorola it will not work. Make sure that you power off the motorola anytime you change what is plugged into it (it will probably only store a single mac address upon booting.)

Problem is solved. #1 Comcast is less generous with their bandwidth- I never had a router- I had an 8 port switch. Installed Liksys wireless router with hardwire capacity for 4 (which I need and had prior to 10 days ago) Now my cable thinks it has only one computer, but it actually has 4 due to the wonders of routers. Lastly, I got the wireless up also. The best help of all- a knowledgeable employee of Best Buy who knew the latest with my local comcast provider and validated the info received in the first post. I've learned that a 8-port switch is not a router. I just wonder why comcast which charges 45.95 for broadband would not have had a little customer loyalty and informed us that we would no longer get bandwith except for the one line. Seems to me, it would have been a no brainer. Thanks for everyone's help. And here's to the Geek squad- may we all become alittle more geekier.

It's actually not a bandwidth issue; rather, it's an IP issue. Most cable ISPs offered each cable connection four IPs. This meant that four systems could connect through a gateway and receive their own IP outside the local network. With the popularity boom of broadband, it simply wasn't possible to give every consumer four IPs, so the companies started pulling back to giving out just one IP per dynamic IP connection. In my opinion, this isn't an issue. Everyone that connects through broadband should do so through a router so that they have a hardware firewall protecting their machines.

In all reality, Comcast isn't being stingy, they are just being smarter with how they give out a limited resource.

I'm glad that you got it sorted out.

It's actually not a bandwidth issue; rather, it's an IP issue. Most cable ISPs offered each cable connection four IPs. This meant that four systems could connect through a gateway and receive their own IP outside the local network. With the popularity boom of broadband, it simply wasn't possible to give every consumer four IPs, so the companies started pulling back to giving out just one IP per dynamic IP connection. In my opinion, this isn't an issue. Everyone that connects through broadband should do so through a router so that they have a hardware firewall protecting their machines.

In all reality, Comcast isn't being stingy, they are just being smarter with how they give out a limited resource.

I'm glad that you got it sorted out.

Noted.

Thanks.

Problem is solved. #1 Comcast is less generous with their bandwidth- I never had a router- I had an 8 port switch. Installed Liksys wireless router with hardwire capacity for 4 (which I need and had prior to 10 days ago) Now my cable thinks it has only one computer, ...

Did you CLONE the MAC address? My guess is yes, though you did not specifically state that here.

Link about 'cloning' from Linksys:

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1040&p_created=1086911813&p_sid=ciOdZFii&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=354&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MiZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PVJvYWQgUnVubmVy&p_li=&p_topview=1

Another question? Did you use a different subnet for your Wireless Router in order to connect to your hardwired router? If so the steps you took would be helpful to know for others.

I know I plan to get a Skype handset and a WiFi Linksys Router and add it to my home network with my Linksys hardwired (Ethernet not WiFi) and use it like a cellphone, but with WiFi. Why, easy, 86ing my Cingular service is saving me over $700 per year. In the 6 months prior to Skype's new program (free outgoing calls until December, before that it was a whooping .02 cents / min outgoing and free incoming as always) I spent less then $60 dollars for phone service...yep Less then $10 per month! Yea! I am never going back to either landlines or cellular!

All right- back to the old motorola- I have a connection with my main computer only. When I reinstall my old hardwire Linksys router- i can not longer connect. Also, everytime my computer boots up I get an error message stating I a have "duplicate name on the network." Don't know where to go to correct this problem either.

Lastly, I have taken your advise- installed wireless router- but still have no connectivity with the wired periphials. My only connection is to run the cable directly into my main computer. My other two computers are useless for the internet.

Please advise

I have been through the exact same thing and spend about 9 hours on the phone back and forth with Time Warner and Linksys - and what you are saying is exactly right - however the LAST time I was on the phone with Linksys I got a "level 2 support" - which is pretty good considering I could understand everything she was saying.

At any rate the Lynksys gateway is NOT compatible with the motorola - they do NOT work together despite what everyone is telling you from Lynksys or from you internet provider - they are both "simple minded" technical objects and do not work together.
You must connect your linksys then call your internet provider and demand they register your MAC address and ping your network. Dont hang up because if it does not work, your motorola will not work either as the address is changed. There can only be 1 MAC address with my internet provider - I dont know about everyone.

I finally called timewarner and told them I was going to purchase an additional service and have a tech come to the house to install the equipment and proceeded to tell her that the charges and customer service was terrible and I was going to write a letter to the FCC and BBB and anyone who would listen - then apologized as it was not her fault personally - and she registered my mac address within 2 minutes and all was well..

MY issue is that the Lynksys times out way too much for my liking.

I hope this helps and my 9 hours of wasted time and acknowledgeable customer service techs does some good for you.

I am trying to find an answer to that now

...At any rate the Lynksys gateway is NOT compatible with the Motorola - they do NOT work together despite what everyone is telling you from Lynxes or from you internet provider - ...

Nothing personal, but this is simply not correct. Please read below, I understand that you did have a problem, just not the problem that you thought you had. I have used a Motorola Cable Modem, a Terayon Cable Modem and a Scientific Atlantic Cable modem in three different locations with the SAME LINKSYS Cable/Router without issues. You just 'CLONE' (<-THAT IS THE MAGIC SEARCH TERM) your MAC address and GO; use as many PCs as you want to use behind the Linksys Router. The Linksys Router acts as the DHCP server and provides a hardware firewall...you should not depend on a software only firewall, ever.

Note: before you assume your connection is down and/or before the cable company provides you with support, you must try connecting your PC just to the Cable Company's cable modem without the router in between, if it works then, it will work witht the Cable/Router.

...You must connect your Linksys then call your internet provider and demand they register your MAC address and ping your network. Dont hang up because if it does not work, your motorola will not work either as the address is changed.

Not true, you do NOT have to do this, see CLONING with a LINKSYS Router for how to use their CABLE MODEM + a ROUTER. This process will work with ANY CABLE/ROUTER, not just LINKSYS.

...There can only be 1 MAC address with my internet provider - I dont know about everyone.

TRUE, this is why you need a CABLE/ROUTER between your PCs and the CABLE/MODEM. The router makes it appear that you have only 1 PC even when you have more...thus is the magic of CLONING YOUR MAC ADDRESS!

NEVER PAY MORE to use a 2nd PC... (unnecessary, unforgivable, greedy of your provider to try)

The Router routes all the PCs' communication as if there is ONLY ONE IP address going from your router through the Cable company supplied Cable modem back to the cable provider. You do not pay even $1.00 more, it is unnecessary and I look at it (you should too) as a 'lie of omission' by any internet provider (cable, DSL, or whatever) that will not acknowledge that you can do this or worse yet, tell you that you cannot without paying them more! (That really is UNFORGIVABLE on the provider's (Cable company) part, however they all do this.) Greedy jerks are not happy with the lower monthly, always trying to get more, more and more a month from all of us. Just look at any 'Cable TV/Internet' plan and you will see that it is impossible to get both internet, TV and Movie service at a decent rate, most will force you into the $90 - $150 per month range with any addition above basic internet ONLY. More than likely you will be closer to $150 per month.

Remember that you do NOT use all the bandwidth/throughput that you are currently provided (and paying for) by your internet provider (CABLE OR DSL) and if you try to they 'THROTTLE' you back and prevent you from using MORE than they will allow you to use. The bandwidth is there, but they will not let you have more unless you PAY MORE.

Did you know that 40 - 60 MB THROUGHPUT IS POSSIBLE for only $30 - 40 per month? Just not in this country...in fact over 10 countries are getting better than 30MB throughput, where we poor US customers are lucky to get 3 MB throughput.

Don't put up with 'CUSTOMER NO SERVICE' type of responses...if you are not satisfied, switch.

ALL CABLE COMPANY supplied CABLE MODEMS will work with any LINKSYS Cable/Router.

DSL Routers are needed for DSL Service, Cable Routers for Cable Service.

DARK FIBER is out there, BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY to LIGHT IT UP, one day, just not today...
FREE HDTV! - Yes you can get this for FREE NOW...

YOU DID HAVE A PROBLEM, just not the one you thought...

I am not sure what problem specifically that you were having, but if the cable company ever was stupid enough to try to force us to use a cable modem that was somehow configured to be incompatible with any 'cable/router' many of us would simply get rid of them and switch providers. That would be very incompetent of them and they would lose business.

...she registered my Mac address within 2 minutes and all was well..

True they can do this, but I personally would be worried that this would leave me with problems the next time they change their DHCP server, something on their backend network and/or their IP addresses. As they have to provide you with service for that one IP address via the Cable modem, but if you are using your own equipment, they will blame your equipment (whether it be true or not) and refuse you help unless you want to pay for a support call ($100 - $200 dollars, of course this is how Best Buy makes additional money too, they put junk on the computer that you buy from them and then force you to pay to have it removed). As for a cable modem, use theirs, that way when it does not work, its their problem, not yours.

This has happened to me once when I woke up to find that I could not access the internet. When I plugged a PC directly to the Cable company's Cable Modem it worked. (UNFORGIVEABLE, as I was forced to connect directly without a HARDWARE FIREWALL (Linksys Cable/Router) between my PC and the internet because of the Cable company's configuration change.)

I will forever remember how I 'felt' (not positive at all) about my cable company, exposing me to phishers, crackers, and scum to 'verify' that I had a connection. Hint to the Cable company: This feeling of betrayal has never left me...one day it will COST YOU! Just as your CUSTOMER NO SERVICE ultimately costs you.

Once I verified that I had a connection, I simply 'cloned' the MAC address on my Linksys Router AGAIN and everything worked like a champ. I did not appreciated being 'unprotected' even for seconds. The cable company did that to me... They made a software change, DHCP change to be exact...the only way I knew this was that I periodically save my router logs and therefore have a record of what it was before, thus know when it gets changed. Without a past record, they would be able to deny that they caused the problem and say its your fault. You have to hold them accountable.

Unfortunately in my experience, every time I have had a problem with either CABLE or CELLULAR, they have attempted to 'charge' me for their mistake. At least a friend of mine gets his MONTH FREE with his DSL provider when he experiences a problem. That's right, the entire month free whenever there is an outage. (In one year's time, he has received six months free service because of his provider's outages and problems) I have only been able to get a day or two out of the Cable Company when they cause an outage. Each time they provide me credit on my next bill, but I have to specifically ask for credit. And yes I have had them 'deny' that they had an outage, thanks to my logs of information I could 'prove' that they had an outage and they were forced to give me credit.

You too should hold them accountable. They certainly cut you off for the not paying on time, therefore, they should reduce your bill by the amount of the outage when there is an outage. Why pay for service you DID NOT / COULD NOT receive!

Besides holding them accountable will result in less downtime for you in the long run. Cost em enough money and they eventually get their act together and you no longer have outages.

...MY issue is that the Lynksys times out way too much for my liking...I am trying to find an answer to that now

Here are reasons I have experienced 'time - outs' in the past. Any of these could be your reasons too, I am sure others will provide their experiences as well. I also mention how to take care of it, from getting rid of a service, to scanning, to rebooting...hope these help you.

1) AOL, use to time me out, I 86ed them. I think they were the ones that used an advertiser that accessed "bluestreak", AO.bluestreak, bluestreak.AO or something like that...always slowed my computer way, way down before I stopped using them. Very much seemed like a 'time out' and was very frustrating. I don't use AOL anymore enough said. Solution: Stop using them.

2) 209.net and other Adware: noticed delays with specific websites as they attempted to put cookies on my machine without my permission. Run ADAWARE, scan for these and get rid of them. Make sure any website that puts these types of cookies on your computer is 'denied' in your browser's security / cookie manager list. Note: with non-IE browsers...IE seems to hide some of this information to you, it just seems to lock up without showing you why. Good reason to 86 (get rid of) IE. (Firefox is the only Web 2.0 compliant browser on the market todate anyway, hint, hint....) I plan to switch to it with my next computer, not enough memory in this PC, need at least 512 MB of RAM. Of course if you are using Vista or planning to go to Vista, you already know that you need 2 GB or more of RAM...another reason to hate Microsoft. 512 MB of RAM should be enough for any operating system; we could run Windows 2000 with only 256 MB (512MB was better), requiring more is simply wasteful and pathetic, but require it they do. Also, it might not be convenient, but set your cookie security to the highest more restrictive setting and deny any cookie from any site that you do not know or have not seen before. After setting your security up, I recommend erasing most if not all of your cookies and starting from scratch. You will be amazed by how many sites want to set cookies from other sites (3rd party cookies) on your PC and how many sites attempt to set 'multiple' cookies. One informational site attempted to set no less than 5 cookies, I denied them all and don't use them anymore. Solution: Run Adaware Ad removal software weekly and especially when you PC slows down. Even better if you can 'ghost' an uncorrupted image of your system and 'periodically' reformat and ghost this uncorrupted copy to your PC.

3) Ads & 'floating' ads, you know the Ad windows that seem to move with your cursor, sometimes even disappearing and reappearing as if they are trying to get you to click on them by accident. You should be very 'leery' of these. Why leery, simple, I once 'clicked' the 'x' for Close on one of these boxes, only to have the site 'attempt' to install an executable file (.EXE) on my PC. Hint: Right mouse click on the tab (IE browsers) or small icon on action bar (non-IE browsers) and select CLOSE. In case you were not aware, scammers, phishers and crackers (hackers would never do this) can program the 'X' for 'Close' on one of these windows to do other things. I don't use that site any more either. Solution: Do not use the 'X' or 'CLOSE' box, use tabs or action bar, right mouse click and delete.

4) Ads & Yahoo, Yahoo slows down as Ads that take over your PC resources and try to do more, i.e. tinkerbell flying across the screen or fireworks exploding, etc... (If you have seen an ad get larger and do anything while you were reading mail, searching or using a site, you have experienced these BAD ADS - stop using the site if possible, vote with your feet) This is a good reason to move to another mail provider, one that cares more about your user experience. Sad for me as I have used Yahoo for years, but this is simply unforgivable. Yahoo, as do all websites, can 'force' the advertisers to use more web browser friendly type ads, but they choose to get paid more to cause you delays...poor choice on their part. Just as they have made a choice, you too can make a choice and I suggest that you do. If more people do this, these types of resource intensive ads will be curtailed (bad for business) or done away with completely. Solution: move away from Yahoo, unless they never do this ever again; judgement call on your part.

5) Ethernet cables: I have experienced 'time out' problems with a cable, even though my cable tester tested it as OKAY. I remade the cable. The new cable worked fine, the time-outs stopped. Solution: Have a 'known good' cable to test with and eliminate the 'cable' as the possible problem.

6) NIC Adapter cards (Network Interface Cards) had one go intermittently bad, very rare, very difficult to troubleshoot. Resulted in not just a 'time out' for the PC, but took down the entire Ethernet network. Seemed this NIC card would only act up after the PC had been on for a number of hours, thus if you turned it off and back on, the problem appeared to go away, but would return 3 1/2 - 4 hours later. Only found this after eliminating every other possible problem / cause. Had to disable access to over 100 networked PCs during business hours and slowly troubleshoot from the network hub back. It was not pretty and troubleshooting occurred over multiple days and multiple hours as I had to wait for the problem to reoccur. Solution: Have a 'known good' NIC adapter to test with and eliminate the 'cable' as the possible problem.

7) Memory creep, could also be considered resource creep, over time with any Microsoft Operating System (from Windows 95 - Windows 2000, I will never use Vista except if forced to for a job). The creep occurs as you open and close applications, do more, it will get slower and slower, granted with Windows 2000 and enough RAM, this took almost all day to occur, I was actually liking Windows 2000 until I ran into their 'forced' attempts to upgrade (see below). Only a reboot will clean up your system's memory and prevent the 'time outs' and seemingly system stalls (time outs) that keep you from doing anything. It's frustrating, but rebooting the PC will fix this for a few hours. The more applications you open and close, the more frequent this issue occurs. While Windows 2000 is better than the others, this memory creep / system resource creep occurs with all Microsoft applications and operating systems. This 'creep' causes the system to seemingly 'time out'. Solution: Reboot the PC and it unlocks and speeds up.

(Personally I believe this memory creep, the General Protection Faults (Windows App running on DOS) and Windows 95; the blue screen of death, etc... are simply problems with the programmer not allocating memory correctly and cleaning up after themselves when the program finishes. Of course Microsoft never even admitted that the GPF's were their fault back in the mid 90s, so why would we expect them to take responsibility today...

JUST SAY NO TO MICROSOFT and keep your sanity...

The problem with Microsoft bears special mention, as I have had not just 'time outs' but complete denials of access and denials of ability to install and denials of use because of Microsoft. Here are a couple of scenarios, because of this and a few other reasons, I am in the processing of migrating to Linux forever for my personal use and professional use where I can force that issue (not always possible, just talk to any Apple MAC users). As far as I am concerned, these are unacceptable from any company...):

- forced update of device drivers for third party software application before the software can be either installed or used: Often attempting to force you to upgrade to the next version or release of the MS Operating System. I despise this and know that I am not alone. Basically you buy a software package that is advertised as compatible with Windows 2000 (or your current Windows version), when you attempt to install it, the install process stops, fails, refuses and reports that your current release of 2000 is not the latest and greatest. Never mind that you REFUSE to go to any further versions of that OS, it will attempt to 'prevent' you from using and FORCE you to upgrade to the next release of the OS. SOLUTION: Using a PC with the current release, install the application to a USB device. Tell the installation program No, when asked to create any icons and/or put it in the StartUp folder. Often you must use the 'Advanced' setup option to change the installation path to the USB device. Once installed you can take the USB device, plug it into the PC with the older out of date software and it will run just fine. Shame on Microsoft for requiring this, shame on any software vendor that forces you to upgrade your Operating System in order to use their software. On rare occasions, such an upgrade is actually necessary to use the software application, but most of the time, the software developers just require it for no reason. Shame on them. BETTER SOLUTION: 86 Microsoft OS and never have to worry about this ever again <- My planned solution go to Linux and take advantage of all the FREE software, as the USB devices are starting to get 'restricted'; touting security reasons, so that you will not be able to run just anything from USB by design. Understandable for some companies, not for my personal PC under any circumstances by anyone other than myself. I probably should thank Microsoft for 'forcing' the issue as my life will get better as the software is not only FREE, but better too!

- forced update of Windows device drivers for third party hardware device, which results in a 'forced' update of the MS software...I despise this, see Solutions above.

- forced update of Windows version, before allowing me to 'view' a video on the web. All sites don't do this, so for the sites that do, shame on you, you pansies. Solution: Don't use their site.

- forced update of Windows version, before allowing me to 'listen' to an audio clip, music clip. Realplayer does not always do this, sometimes does. Of course MS's Media Player does...shame on you. With Linux, I will have other options...goodbye, plus using these types of products under Linux, will not cause me to shell out a few hundred dollars if I do have to update parts of my operating system. Solution: Linux.

- forced update of Windows version, before allowing me to view a website on the web - I just never go back to that website, problem solved. Solution: Don't use that website. Beside the ONLY Web 2.0 compliant browser is Firefox, do your own research if you don't believe me. Shame on you Microsoft for being part of the standard setting body for almost 6 years and actively preventing standards from being set by trying to force Internet Explorer on everybody, shame on you. Solution: Switch to Firefox, but you must have at least 512 MB of RAM, better with 1 GB. Considering that you need at least 2 GB to run Vista, anything is cheaper then Microsoft in your future! Just say no.

People either you are in complete control of your PC or you are NOT. Since later versions of Windows 2000 will UPDATE even when you configure it NOT to, you are no longer in control and you can be denied access, availability or timed out at any time on a whim.

That's right, you set your configuration to ONLY update when you want to, No at all other times and Microsoft happily IGNORES your settings and AUTO UPDATES anyway. I don't want to hear any EXCUSES from anyone for this nasty, undesirable behavior. I SAID NO, NO MEANS NO, THERE IS NO ACCEPTABLE REASON FOR ANYONE, MICROSOFT INCLUDED TO IGNORE MY WISHES AND INSTALL ANYTHING WITHOUT MY SAYING YES. PERIOD, END OF DISCUSSION.

Violates Banking regulations in the United States! I hope the banks wake up and 86 Microsoft before a phisher or cracker uses this capability against them.

Does your bank use Microsoft? Do you know? Don't you think you should KNOW?

In this day and age of IDENTITY THEFT, can you afford to take that chance?

If your bank uses Microsoft, perhaps it is time to switch banks!!!!

Perhaps you should 86 Microsoft also!

At least I will control 100% my PC, anything less is unacceptable!

If you are in business but do not control your PC's, you could be put out of business!

There are already companies that after updating their software, corrupted data, so that you would be unable to 'back out' of the update with the trial version of their new software and would be forced to use their new-pay-them-monthly version of the software. This happened with the number one financial application on the market and pissed off allot of CPA's. The smart ones had backups of their client's data and after this incident moved away from that company's software and will never use them again. I bet they are no longer number one in their market.

I had been using them, but do not any longer for this reason. Fortunately I never install the latest, greatest software on my working system for this very reason. They don't call it the 'bleeding edge' for nothing. Too funny. I only install new releases on a test system, so when it gets screwed up because of it, it does not put me out of commission.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.