Hello everyone :) (new Daniweb user here)

I'm currently experiencing some wlan issues. My computer is using an 3com usb adapter (3CRUSB10075) adapter with newest drivers installed. I've also tried with an SMC wireless PCI adapter, and that was even MORE unstable than the 3com adapter. I got a Linksys WRT54G router.. The settings on the router is as follows :

- DHCP
- WPA2 encryption (have tried with no encyption)
- Broadcasting SSID
- Channel 11 (have tried different channels)
- no mac filter
- UPnP enabled

I also got a laptop from Dell which i use only half a meter from the other computer, and i get 100% excelent signal strenght and i'm on all the time. The strange thing is that i have tried to take the 3com USB adapter into my laptop, and then i get full signal strenght. I have even tried to put my laptop on the floor right beside the stationary computer, and no change, still got excelent signal. It seems that the signal is only poor in my stationary computer, even if i change cards. I've also tried to take the router almost right beside the stationary computer, and STILL dont get 100% signal, tho it was a bit better.

Both computers is running Windows XP SP2 with newest updates.

Anyone got any clue what can do this?

Thanx in advance

Bully

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Thats a very odd issue. When your signal goes down, can you still ping the router? (Typcially 192.168.254.1 or 192.168.1.1) I am not experienced with wireless, but maybe there is a issue with other software such as viruises/adware/spyware? Try running Adaware, Spybot SD, and a free virus scan if you dont own one. (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/)

Do you think that it could be the USB ports on the computer itself.Check them with another USB product and see if they work.

Please update the WLAN WRT54G to the latest firmware, then it´s possible to set the channel to AUTO, this will help in surroundings with multiple "foreign" WLAN Access Points and stabilize your connection.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.