Hello all ,

i have a server with a "dynamic IP" that comes from the ISP and many agents/clients on the field connected to that server with static IP's .

The problem is with that server's IP -since its dynamic- the field agents cant connect to It anymore when it changes! , we have to change the agents IP's and configuration to match the Server's new configuration in order to re-establish the connection.

So i need a software that will synchronize automatically any changes between the server's configuration and the client's configuration. i know there are some but i need some names or alternative ideas if possible

PS: buying static ip from the ISP is out of Question coz its expensive

Tips to help :-
1-i need a software that support "agents" so that i can install the agents on my clients laptops on the field (lets say we have several patrols on the field with 3g internet connection)

2- configure the anti-virus on the clients to localhost ( in other words link it to the agent i have installed in step one)

3- the agent will changes it's configuration depending on the changes on the server therefore the anti-virus will change its own configuration accordingly (coz we linked it to localhost as mentioned in step 1)

Thanks a lot guys.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

There are several options out there and here is a link to a site that will let you set it up for free:
http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

thank you very much and im sorry to confuse you , i need a software to change the "Domain
controller" we get from the ISP NOT the DNS (URL ip)

sorry my bad

Well now I am confused.ISP's normally provide the IP address for the local DNS (Domain Name System) which is the address for the Name server to query to resolve Domain names into IP addresses.

On Windows Server Systems, a Domain Controller (DC) is a server that responds to security authentication requests (logging in, checking permissions, etc.) within the Windows Server domain. At least one Domain Controller normally runs a DNS service in an Active Directory Environment to resolve names for systems connect to the Domain.

The Domain Name System (DNS) associates various information with domain names; most importantly, it serves as the "phone book" for the Internet by translating human-readable computer hostnames, e.g. www.example.com, into IP addresses, e.g. 208.77.188.166, which networking equipment needs to deliver information. It also stores other information such as the list of mail servers that accept email for a given domain. In providing a worldwide keyword-based redirection service, the Domain Name System is an essential component of contemporary Internet use.

Basically one authorizes users access to computer resources in A Windows environment while the other turns a human understandable domain name ( www.yahoo.com ) into a computer usable IP address ( 69.147.76.15 ), So whaich one are you trying to change?

you are perfectly right , u see we have domain controller with Dynamic IP from our ISP
in order to make our laptops on the field connected to the Domain Controller , we need to buy Static ip instead and we cant afford that.

i heard there are some softwares that can synchronize the dynamic IP on our domain controller with the rest of the laptops connected with it.

for example , lets say our domain controller has the following ip 10.1.1.1
after few minutes or hours it would change to 10.1.1.2 (automatically from ISP coz as i mentioned we cant buy static ip)

and lets say we have laptops on the field that have anti-viruses agent in them (for security purposes). everything cool till now right? good

The problem :- if we configured the anti viruses to connected 24/7 to that Domain controller in other words to be connected to the first ip which is 10.1.1.1
then everything will be fine and running.
BUT once ISP gives us a new ip (ex: 10.1.1.2) then the laptops will never detect the new ip "automatically" right? .

Possible solution :- a software that can detect the dynamic IPs we keep getting from ISP and synchronize the change between the DC and the laptops on the field.
any advice ?

thank you so much rch1231 for helping me out

Since dynamic IP also come from the ISP(Internet Service Provider) where many client and user connected with static IP's

Unfortunately Dynamic IP is a logical concept of networking.

Normally the lease on the DHCP address is for a week or longer and when you stay active at that address they usually don't change it. Only if disconnect from the network will your DHCP address get grabbed by another system and used. Make sure your modem or router that connects to the ISP is set to maintain the connection and you should be able to keep the address for weeks if not longer. I have been using the same address from my provider now for almost three months and it only changed then when The power was off for a few hours and my UPS ran out of juice.

I know this is an old thread, but I had that problem a few years ago with a web cam server. I learned the cost of a static IP & Wow!! So, I found no-ip.com that offers the software you need to load on server and client p.c. for a small fee of around 34.00 a year. It worked fine on our dsl & had only a few problems viewing our cameras online during the time the IP was changed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.