I recently purchased WNR2000 Netgear "N" Router in hopes of speeding up my internet connections. I have only had headaches with connecting wirelessly. I don't know if I have a defective router or just some settings wrong.

The two PCs I have connected with ethernet cables to the router work fine. Occasionally the laptops have trouble with connecting wirelessly. I have seen no increase in speeds. And the only way I can get my XBox 360 and iPhone to connect are by changing a setting on the router setup page (basically resetting the router). iPhones and wireless XBox will work for about a day, then stop working unless I reset the router again.

What's going on with it? I am to the point where I may just switch back to my old U.S. Robotics "G" Wireless router.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

perhaps try to increase the mhz on the router. i had issues with a netgear wireless n myself. i ended up taking it back and getting a linksys wireless n. with wireless n, you need to make sure that all of your wireless network cards support the wireless n technology. if they dont you wont even see the network.

does the router allow support for wireless n & g connections or n only?

All of the devices I am using are recognizing my network as an option, but some of the devices can't connect. For example, my new XBox 360 which has wireless N technology built into it see the network out there, but when I try and connect, it says, "Can't obtain an IP address from your router or modem."

The router allows for all types of connections as I have been using b and g connections on a couple of my laptops.

make sure the router is set to the dhcp server

what kind of internet are you connected to ?

My router is set to "Dynamic IP (DHCP)"

I am using a broadband internet service.

I just noticed that according to ipconfig, the router is assigning a 172 ip address on my main computer. However, on my iPhone and XBox where I am having connection problems, it is assign a 169 address. How can I fix this?

your going to want the router to assign the IP addresses

give it the ip address range 192.168.x.100 - 192.168.x.200

if it asks for dns information use the dns servers from your internet

if your main computer connecting to the access point, or is it ethernet?

I got it set to the range you suggested and it works for about a day, then stops. Then my iPhone and XBox and some laptops get assigned the APIPA 169.254.x.xxx IP address and no longer work. The main computer is hooked up via ethernet.

Member Avatar for Boondockers

I was having extreme problems connecting wireless with a Dell Inspiron Mini 10. I could cable connect with no problems. But, the wireless connection was extremely slow when I could get it to work.
SOLUTION: Apparently the 1510 network card has problems communicating. Using my browser on the computer directly connected to the router, I entered the router configuration page. Then I clicked on the Linksys WRT54GS wireless configuration tab and changed the frequency channel from 6 to 11. The problems went away and the wireless connection on the netbook was flawless.

Changing the frequency channel worked for me.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.