Hi Friends

My problem is that I have two routers.I am trying to mention every thing here so that you people can understand my problem and help me out with it.

Router1 is a DSL router provided by our ISP its a ZTE ZXDSL 831CII connected directly to internet.
Router2 is Linksys wireless router WRT54GL.
Now a straight cable is comming from the switch port of the DSL router and connected to the internet port of the Linksys router.
Now LAN Configurations.
Router1 DSL:- 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0
Router2 Linksys:- 192.168.2.x 255.255.255.0

Ok now I am able to connect to the internet but can't access shared resources on both ends I have tried to enter routes in both routers but still unable to access, may be I am not entering the routes rightly.

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

1. Make the ZTE ZXDSL 831CII router the first in the chain.

2. Set up the ZTE ZXDSL 831CII router address as 192.168.1.200 (for example only, use the default one of the router) and the DHCP server addresses begin with 192.168.1.x (where x is a different value than above)

3. Connect (with your straight cable :) ) (CAT5 Network cable) from one of the 4 ports on ZTE ZXDSL 831CII to the “Internet” (incoming) port on the Linksys.

4. In the Linksys “Basic Setup” screen change the Local IP Address to something that will not clash with the ZTE ZXDSL 831CII. Use for example something like 192.168.2.1 which causes the Linksys DHCP server to assign IPs starting with 198.162.2.x. Make sure the DHCP server will not assign a value the same as the router’s Local IP Address. Make x start with 101. No need to turn off DHCP in either boxes.

5. That’s it…You can connect by CAT5 or wireless to either the ZTE ZXDSL 831CII or the Linksys.

6. You can also be connected to the Linksys and access any shared devices on another PC that's connected to the ZTE ZXDSL 831CII.

Good luck

1. Make the ZTE ZXDSL 831CII router the first in the chain.

2. Set up the ZTE ZXDSL 831CII router address as 192.168.1.200 (for example only, use the default one of the router) and the DHCP server addresses begin with 192.168.1.x (where x is a different value than above)

3. Connect (with your straight cable :) ) (CAT5 Network cable) from one of the 4 ports on ZTE ZXDSL 831CII to the “Internet” (incoming) port on the Linksys.

4. In the Linksys “Basic Setup” screen change the Local IP Address to something that will not clash with the ZTE ZXDSL 831CII. Use for example something like 192.168.2.1 which causes the Linksys DHCP server to assign IPs starting with 198.162.2.x. Make sure the DHCP server will not assign a value the same as the router’s Local IP Address. Make x start with 101. No need to turn off DHCP in either boxes.

5. That’s it…You can connect by CAT5 or wireless to either the ZTE ZXDSL 831CII or the Linksys.

6. You can also be connected to the Linksys and access any shared devices on another PC that's connected to the ZTE ZXDSL 831CII.

Good luck

First of all thanks for replying.
I have already done that but can't even ping other PCs. For example if try to ping from 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.2.20 the result comes as "request time out" and vice versa from the other side too. The only thing I m able to do is that Linksys router is getting connecting to the internet and that all. for example I can ping the ZTE router from Linksys router and the PCs connected to it but can't ping the computers connected to ZTE router and I want that to be done. Give me suggestions please.

OK

Let me get you clear, first of all, what I understand you say is:

1. You can ping the ZTE router, from a pc connected to the linksys, and you can ping other computers also connected to the linksys?

2. You cannot ping anything connected to the linksys, if you ping from a pc connected to the ZTE?

Let us know if above two points is what you say. If not, please describe from where to where you can ping, and not.

Another question...

Can you ping from a pc connected to the ZTE to anything else connected to the ZTE?

OK

Let me get you clear, first of all, what I understand you say is:

1. You can ping the ZTE router, from a pc connected to the linksys, and you can ping other computers also connected to the linksys?

2. You cannot ping anything connected to the linksys, if you ping from a pc connected to the ZTE?

Let us know if above two points is what you say. If not, please describe from where to where you can ping, and not.

Another question...

Can you ping from a pc connected to the ZTE to anything else connected to the ZTE?

Ok
1:- Yes I can ping the ZTE router form computers connected to Linksys router and they can ping each other too but can't ping to the computers connected to ZTE router.

2:- Yes I can't ping anything connected to Linksys router if I ping form a PC connected to ZTE router while they can ping each other and the Internet port of the Linksys router.

Remember Internet port of the Linksys router has an IP of 192.168.1.xx while its LAN ports (Switch Ports) have IPs in the 192.168.2.xx pool.

Now I want to share some files on both sides of the network and get access to them on both sides whether its 192.168.1.xx or 192.168.2.xx.

check it out, ur firewall service is on.

check it out, ur firewall service is on.

Yes firewall was enabled on both sides but even after disabling them problem is not solved yet.

You might want to visit the above link above and see whether it helps

http://docs.hp.com/en/J2716-90016/ch05s01.html

I am not too good on sharing resources using two networks

Well, thats good informative document but it won't help in this particular case. Because my problem is that I am unable to access the computers on other network.

if u dont share any folder den how wud u access the netwoprk node

Maybe is the other network problem. You try sharing resources using a third network just to make sure the computer is working properly with other network and your second network is the one with the problem.

if u dont share any folder den how wud u access the netwoprk node

Well my friend there lot of folders shared on both sides of the network but they can be accessed only form same pool while I want to share them to both networks

Try to disable "block multicast" options on linksys router.
When multicast is blocked the icmp is blocked so the workstations cannot ping each other .
I hope this will help you.

Yeah, i agree with 0onq0. Though, i am not very sure that is the root of the problem. Post when your problem is solved. or not we will try other solutions

Good Luck

your linksis router is able to work as router (not default NAT mode)?

Spelling error larieu. It should be linksy, but anyway i agree with larieu. Your linksy router is able to work as router (not default NAT mode)?

Spelling error larieu. It should be linksy, but anyway i agree with larieu. Your linksy router is able to work as router (not default NAT mode)?

Your spelling is also incorrect roy, the correct spelling is Linksys

Your spelling is also incorrect roy, the correct spelling is Linksys

Ok, thanks for correcting me jholland. Do you use linksys also?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.