I have been having problems staying online. I have dsl through my local cable co. They have sent out techs twice now and have found no problems at their end. I get online then I have problems with my site pages coming up. I have to shut down the computer in order to get back on. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Is your modem connected via USB? Often, this is the cause of constantly losing a connection. If it is, go into the Windows Device Manager, then disable the power management settings for the USB device (which allows the computer to turn off the device when not in use to save power).

Sometimes incorrectly configured firewalls can also be the problem (from my experience, specifically Norton Internet Security/Norton Personal Firewall).

Next time this happens, run "ipconfig" from DOS and let us know whether you still have an IP address, or if you lose it too. Try running "ipconfig /renew" and see what happens.

Also, are you behind a router or hub? I was having similar problems with a SohoWare router. Now I use Linksys and no more problems!

I am running Win/ME on a P500 w/128mb ram. I connect with a cable modem via Lan Card (3Com Ethernet Link 10/100) I am running Adaware, Spybot, Proxomitron, and NAV. I have tweaked all my connection settings with Speedguide and Dslreports. I have run Pitstop and Security Symantecs diags with no adverse results concerning my connection configurations. I had the local Cable Co. Techs come out and redo all my inhouse cabling. There were too many splitters between my computer and the outside main box. That only fixed my download and upload #'s. They did the Ipconfig from windows and stated everything was fine. How do I get to Dos? Win/ME has no Dos Prompt from windows. I don't have a boot disk. I bought this computer used with no software or recovery disks. Can I use my NAV rescue disks to get to Dos? I am really perplexed over this problem. Your help is great appreciated.

No router, no hub, no firewalls.

1st let me recommend u either learn how to use the help files from windows (which by-and-large i find to be infuriating) or purchase a book on WinME; alternatively you may want to check w/ur locale pub library & see if they have any for loan. why? because WinME does have a rather easily accessible DOS console and if u can't find it you need some real basic guidance (like we ALL did on first starting out!).

2nd, just what's wrong w/ur connection?
how does it drop out - after x minutes of use, or if u leave ur pc/dsl modem of for x amount of time? only when running a particular program? a particular time of day/evening? is it slow?

btw, are u using any file sharing programs, such as Kazaa or WinMX?

much like a hurdler running a race a trouble shooter has to first set a goal - either winning a race or identifying a problem to be solved, and then set about tackling the obstruction(s) to that goal one issue, or hurdle, at a time.

so let's 1st identify exactly what problems you're having b4 we set out to resolve the issues, ok?

Well, first of all guys I have solved my connection problem. Because I bought this computer used with the OS already loaded and all the internal hardware configured by someone else. I had no idea what someone else might have done prior to my owning the computer. Second, the Win Dos prompt was not accesible from the start menu. As, I did not have a boot disk or any other software when I bought this thing I was limited as to what I could do. Third, I had never worked with Win/ME before so I therefore had no real idea what the OS layout was. Fourth, I am not a novice to computers. I spent 6 years building computers for a living. I.E., I owned a TV repair and Computer business. I retired from the business. The last OS I worked with was Win/98. Many changes have occurred since then and unfortunately I just have not kept up to date with it all. I used to live in California and retired to the woods in the U.P. of Michigan. I decided I wanted to get back into the flow of things i.e. internet so I bought this computer. Believe it or not where I am located the area is about 10 years behind in tecnology. Sorry this post has been so long. I greatly appreciate sites like this and people like you out there trying to help others. I resolved my problem by having to purchase a Win/ME OS disk. I did a low level format of the hard drive then repartitioned, then did a regular format, then put on a fresh full version install of Win/ME and configured the whole system as it should have been done in the first place. Some advice to leave you with, if you are a new face to computers, make sure that you know what you are buying or you could be in real trouble if anything ever goes wrong. Fortunately for me I am not a novice to computers! Thank You, Abel

Well, first of all guys I have solved my connection problem. Because I bought this computer used with the OS already loaded and all the internal hardware configured by someone else. I had no idea what someone else might have done prior to my owning the computer. Second, the Win Dos prompt was not accesible from the start menu. As, I did not have a boot disk or any other software when I bought this thing I was limited as to what I could do. Third, I had never worked with Win/ME before so I therefore had no real idea what the OS layout was. Fourth, I am not a novice to computers. I spent 6 years building computers for a living. I.E., I owned a TV repair and Computer business. I retired from the business. The last OS I worked with was Win/98. Many changes have occurred since then and unfortunately I just have not kept up to date with it all. I used to live in California and retired to the woods in the U.P. of Michigan. I decided I wanted to get back into the flow of things i.e. internet so I bought this computer. Believe it or not where I am located the area is about 10 years behind in tecnology. Sorry this post has been so long. I greatly appreciate sites like this and people like you out there trying to help others. I resolved my problem by having to purchase a Win/ME OS disk. I did a low level format of the hard drive then repartitioned, then did a regular format, then put on a fresh full version install of Win/ME and configured the whole system as it should have been done in the first place. Some advice to leave you with, if you are a new face to computers, make sure that you know what you are buying or you could be in real trouble if anything ever goes wrong. Fortunately for me I am not a novice to computers! Thank You, Abel

:shock:
Dear Dad101,
Don't take is so personally. Abel is just upset because Cain got the better of him.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.