I am using Belkin ADSL modem withb high speed mode wireless g router, I am trying to file share between a pc and laptop. Internet between works but not the file sharing/printer

can anyone help

Email me : mark.farrant@btinternet.com

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I am using Belkin ADSL modem withb high speed mode wireless g router, I am trying to file share between a pc and laptop. Internet between works but not the file sharing/printer

can anyone help

Email me : mark.farrant@btinternet.com

Laptop operating system?
PC operating system?

Once you provide that, I'll give you detailed instructions.

J_

Both pc and laptop are using windows XP. Is that ok.

markf,

For both systems:

Start >> Settings >> Network Connections >> Left hand side, under Network Tasks select Set up a home or small office network >> Next >> Next >> Select This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or though another computer on my network >> Next >> Type a description and name for your computer >> Next >> Type a Workgroup Name. This is essentially the name of your network. Keep the default or change as desired. >> Select Turn on File and printer sharing. >> Next >> Next >> Select Just finish the wizard; I don't need to run the wizard on other computers >> Next >> Finish >> Repeat for the remaining computer and You're done!

You'll need to reboot bother systems after setup. Once complete, select My Network Places from the desktop. On the left hand side, select View workgroup computers . You should now see both computers listed under the names you created, or left to default. Remember how to get to this location, because it is where you access any network folders/files.

In order to begin sharing, you can right click on any folder and click Sharing and Security... Under Network Sharing and Security, select Share this folder on the network >> You can keep the default folder name or change it. >> click Apply >> click Ok

If you have any questions, please let us know.

J_

What if the PC is Windows XP and the laptop is Windows Vista???

Can you share files between them??

Thanks,

Adrian

markf,

For both systems:

Start >> Settings >> Network Connections >> Left hand side, under Network Tasks select Set up a home or small office network >> Next >> Next >> Select This computer connects to the Internet through a residential gateway or though another computer on my network >> Next >> Type a description and name for your computer >> Next >> Type a Workgroup Name. This is essentially the name of your network. Keep the default or change as desired. >> Select Turn on File and printer sharing. >> Next >> Next >> Select Just finish the wizard; I don't need to run the wizard on other computers >> Next >> Finish >> Repeat for the remaining computer and You're done!

You'll need to reboot bother systems after setup. Once complete, select My Network Places from the desktop. On the left hand side, select View workgroup computers . You should now see both computers listed under the names you created, or left to default. Remember how to get to this location, because it is where you access any network folders/files.

In order to begin sharing, you can right click on any folder and click Sharing and Security... Under Network Sharing and Security, select Share this folder on the network >> You can keep the default folder name or change it. >> click Apply >> click Ok

If you have any questions, please let us know.

J_

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.