Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me solve this problem. I have a several computers on a small network. Of that network, there is one computer acts as a file server. There is a shared folder in C:\ drive that is shared with all computers on the network. They all run on windows XP Pro.

My question is this. is it possible to password protect the sharedfolder on the fileserver? what i really want is once everyone logging to their computer that's attached on the network, they start trying to gain access to the folder on the fileserver. But before they gain access, they have to supply a password. Now, i'm talking about across the network, not on the local computer. I mean i found password protected folders that actually works on the local machine only.

Your help is highly appreciated and look forward to hearing from you.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

associates,

Change the permissions to the shared drive to include the user accounts of the other computers. This, of course, implies the other users have individual password protected accounts.

J_

associates,

Change the permissions to the shared drive to include the user accounts of the other computers. This, of course, implies the other users have individual password protected accounts.

J_

Permissions can only be changed if you're using NTFS file system. Fat32 hasnt got any securities.

nanosani,

Sorry, legacy isn't my bag, baby.

J_

nanosani,

Sorry, legacy isn't my bag, baby.

J_

The thing that's still widely used should be taken into consideration...

how can i protect my folder on the network so that I alone that have the password can view the content of that folder

I want to renew this because i have been assigned that very task above to do for the company network (small company) an di have NO idea how to do so.

OS = windows 2000 pro , windows server 2003 i have full access to everything as well. any help is appreciate

I know this is perfectly possible with 98 and NT4. Dunno but 2k but in them you need to use password level sharing insteafd of user level sharing

Hey everyone the program you're looking for to do this task is Folder Guard from WinAbility... like you I've had to password protect folders on a file server and out of all the products that said that they would do the job FolderGuard was the only one I found user friendly and that supported multi-versions of windows.
http://www.winability.com/folderguard/
Hope that helps.

I still suggest that you convert your filesystem to NTFS (if it isn't) and then use the NTFS access permissions to grant users access. I never like installing additional software to do something that can be done as well using built in Windows tools.

Permissions can only be changed if you're using NTFS file system. Fat32 hasnt got any securities.

I am using NTFS, but when I try to set permissions for certain others on my network, it won’t let me add anyone other then users on my computer. I need to allow other members of my network, but not everyone on my network.
By the way, I tried the free trial of Folder Guard and it did not do what I wanted to do.
Please help if you can, as low tech as you can.
Thanks

If you are using winxp pro Go to My Computer\Tools\folder options\view\simple file sharing, and then remove the tick.
Creat another user and creat the password protected account.
Share any file click on security\advance\find, and then select the user and add it. Remove any other users from security.
Repeat the same procedure for sharing removing everybody and any one on the list except that user.
Tick all the three boxes below.
close all
when you will open the folder from the network it will prompt for password of that particular use. Dont make the same name user on any of other computers.

This topic is 6 years ago and not yet closed, strange. To share folder on Windows XP file server, there isn't a built-in solution. You can use a third-party solution. There are only a few programs that work for shared folder protection such as Kaka Password Shared Folder. But the thread is too old and the answer is meaningless now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.