I have a bt internet connection and i'm using a bt home hub 2.0 wireless router.

This is what I have connected (But not all at the same time):

• Desktop pc, wired
  • Xbox 360, wired
  • Mobile device
  • Mobile device
  • Laptop
  • Laptop
  • Laptop
  • Wireless printer

The connection worked fine for about 6 months, now sometimes it comes up as an unidentified network.

When the connection is being shows as unidentified all the blue lights on the router are on. I cannot connect to the internet using any wireless device and the desktop pc can with no problems.

The only way to sort this was to keep resetting the router to defaults which I cannot keep doing.

I rang up bt and they didn't know what to do and placed me onto the 1st line support desk and then tried charging me £15 a month for the IT support service.

Any ideas what the problem is? Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Your desktop works fines becasue it is connnected to the modem via and ethernet cable. What do you mean by unidentified netwrok, is the network name change? After you reset your modem and router, did you change any setting. All your devices can't work except for the desktop pc right?

Your desktop works fines becasue it is connnected to the modem via and ethernet cable. What do you mean by unidentified netwrok, is the network name change? After you reset your modem and router, did you change any setting. All your devices can't work except for the desktop pc right?

The network name stays the same and in the network and sharing centre it is shown as an unidentified network, I haven't changed any settings and yes only the desktop pc works via ethernet cable whhen this happens.

CAn you conneced to the internet and what is the network stength. Al wireless can't connect to the wireless network or is it only your laptop. If it is only your laptop see if you have your wireless card properly installed

CAn you conneced to the internet and what is the network stength. Al wireless can't connect to the wireless network or is it only your laptop. If it is only your laptop see if you have your wireless card properly installed

I can connect to the internet via ethernet cable and it shows that the wireless connection on every laptop is limited, it has an exclamation mark on the wireless icon in the right hand bottom corner.

The wireless card is installed correctly on every device, one laptop is only a few weeks old.

It has an exclamation mark mean there is no connection but your wireless is working fine. This is a router problem, have you seen kraai link. Bye i have to go now, will answer your question tomorrow

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.