Well he's been! Apparently there was a frazzled wire somewhere so that is why our service was slow and should have been fixed now.
I said should because it still isn't. So I think I'm going to ring them and moan again! It can't be my fault cos all the computers in my flat are suddenly the same and all the wires and everything are connected etc.
I think changing ISP might be a plan....

He should have tested your speed before he declaired the fault as fixed.

commented: Keep up the hard work Kraai and hope to see you around +9

i guess i wasn't joking then, about the router. did they supply it? or do you own it? router firewalls are important.

some other ideas:
-turn on tracking blocker(or whatever it called, a.k.a. inprivate filtering)from tools menu internet xplorer.
-and disable all add-ons(from same menu
-block 3rd party cookies(or all)tools>internetoptions>privacy>advanced
-YOU didn't download and install anything, but what about auto-updates?
-reliability monitor is a neat little new thing for 7,but needs a restore point for it to function at all.

maybe they didn't fix it yet...did you see them do any work?

ok, that's all i got for now

commented: nothing to do with problem at hand -2

Hi Skilly, thanks for the ideas....all he said was that he fixed the line that was damaged....
We got given the router and there shouldn't be anything wrong with it...it's been dropped once but I very much doubt that has affected it...I don't think it's just the my internet explorer's problem though because I'm having trouble downloading things from 3rd party things such as Steam and iTunes! I will do a system restore though just in case!! Thank you for all the help....
Sorry I can't fix it...if all this fails I'm just going to ring up, ask for a new router, complain and then change ISP if it's still not fixed! I actually think in this case it may be entirely down to them though I am not sure why. I haven't gone over my fair use policy apparently...

Skilly

What has a router goto do with a faulty line?

Please do not answer if you don't knwo difference, a line to a property is the property of the ISP and as long as the fault isn't inside, which in this case it isn't, there is no charge.

If a line is faulty, it has nothing to do with Router's as that connects to the line, not the otherway around.

Jaward

Just chase them up, but depending where the line fault is, they may have to dig up the street or if on ADSL (phone connection), then need to check at the Exchange or lines leading up to the property.

You can claim loss of services if they do not promptly fix it.

commented: Thanks for clarifying an obvious misinformative post +9

Thank you very much Bal, and you too Skilly and Kraai and Jingda! You've all been most helpful and although the problem isn't solved at least there is nothing I can do about it! I will chase up the company!
Thank you sincerely again for all your helpful and informative suggestions! I am relatively knowledgeable about computers (apart from the networking/internet part) so I hope I can help you guys in future in return.
Cheers,
Jimmy

so I hope I can help you guys in future in return.
Cheers,
Jimmy

No problem. Just like Bal had said just ring them up and ask them to exchange the modem while they take your old modem to fixed. If they fail to fix it, just keep new modem and ignore them since they fail to solve your problem. If they don't allow it just change a new ISP, and create a lot of ruckus. Good luck

Sorry I can't fix it...if all this fails I'm just going to ring up, ask for a new router, complain and then change ISP if it's still not fixed! I actually think in this case it may be entirely down to them though I am not sure why. I haven't gone over my fair use policy apparently...

My opinion is, that the ISP must tell you what did they fixed as it did not solved the problem. They must also tell you if they perhaps throttling your connection and the reason if they do. It also may be that too many users are sharing the same connection at the same time, in that scenario, you must see if you get better speeds at some other times of day/night or if your poor speed is a constant thing at any given time.

How to check router settings:

Open:Cmd.exe
type:ipconfig
press enter
read the output. your router's ip address is listed as "default gateway"
open your internet browser
type your default gateway address where you normally type website addresses
press enter
your router's settings page should appear
every type of router's page is different, and has different options
try to find your dhcp client list(not all routers can be a dhcp server)
set a password,security settings and so on, etc.

i'm only telling you this so you can have more confidence talking to the ISP.
because yes it is possible that your neighbors could be stealing your bandwith
(especially if you reset the router, because then the password is gone)

and kraai, LAN is Local Area Network, WAN is Wide Area Network and WLAN means Wireless Local Area Network. They said they had fixed the faulty line so
i really don't know what the hell is going on(but i want know).
you must think his ISP is lying to him? that is always a possibility

and kraai, LAN is Local Area Network, WAN is Wide Area Network and WLAN means Wireless Local Area Network. They said they had fixed the faulty line so
i really don't know what the hell is going on(but i want know).
you must think his ISP is lying to him? that is always a possibility

You keep on posting how the OP must resolve a SLOW line connection issue by accessing his router. That is total BS. If you read the OP postings, you will find that he is quite educated to access his router settings and play around in them if he wants to. The issue at hand here is a faulty (or over used)internet connection on the actual telecom line itself, and have nothing to do with routers, his pc, or modems.

And by the way, I never new the differences between WAN, LAN, WLAN in more than 10 years of networking experience, untill you point it out now, for reasons unclear to what that have to do with the OP problem. Now I must know everything.... at last!

Well guys the nightmare is finally over. After having a rude conversation with my ISP they finally decided to just move my internet speed up to 12mb...and so far my internet is much faster! The speed test came back at 9.23mb/s and upload is now 0.9mb/s - a vast improvement. Downloads now happen much faster and I can stream HD youtube videos without interruption at last!! Thank you all for your help! This is now solved...guess it was just the ISP's fault the whole time! Thank you all for your suggestions though! Really appreciated and I feel very honored you all spent your time helping me :)

Your Welcome glad it sorted

Oops just saw thread closed

commented: Keep up the hard work +9

Your Welcome glad it sorted

Oops just saw thread closed

Haha, ;).

@ jaward1

If the problem occurs again, just go and wreck havoc with the ISP and maybe they will upgrade your speed to 100Mbit/s. Kraai and Bal you guys deserve a rep from me because of your hard work. Hope to see you guys around.

Cool, glad your line gives you speed again.

Internet becoming slow probably result from your system registry.It is advisable for you to clean your registry with a ......

there is also defragmenting, and possibly increasing the cache size?
but i think jaward seems to be ok.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.