Yesterday my company of approximately 30 employees, had the network come to a stand still. I restarted the router, and the switch that houses all the ports for the ethernet cables to connect to. I restarted that too. Thankfully all came back up and everyone was back online. However, from my server 2003 I cannot ping some computers that are located in a certain part of the building. They however can access my network and proceed like normal. They each have their own IP address. What can the problem be? My users have XP and windows server 2003 will not recognize a section of the building.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hello,

Are they on the same subnet as the server 2003 system. What is the server IP, subnet, Gateway and what IP, subnet,gateway do the other computers have? It could be that there is another router between them and you that connects through your current system. For example: They could be in the 192.168.2.X subnet and connect to your subnet at 192.168.1.X to go out to the internet. They would see systems on your subnet but you would not have a route setup to go to them unless they sent a request with the routing attached. Does that make sense?

Hello,

Are they on the same subnet as the server 2003 system. What is the server IP, subnet, Gateway and what IP, subnet,gateway do the other computers have? It could be that there is another router between them and you that connects through your current system. For example: They could be in the 192.168.2.X subnet and connect to your subnet at 192.168.1.X to go out to the internet. They would see systems on your subnet but you would not have a route setup to go to them unless they sent a request with the routing attached. Does that make sense?

Hi. Yes they were all on the same subnet. I will double check though. But shouldn't I still be able to ping these other computers from my server or another pc in the building? Once this crippled state happened there are just a couple that I cannot ping, but they are online and can access all shared network folders, etc. I will double check the subnet though.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.