ok so I have recently installed a netgear router to my dell computer and the wireless laptop automatically detected it. The labtop's internet works perfectly. The normal computer that has the modem and router connected to it does not work. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Member Avatar for nicentral

What model router are you using?

the cheapest netgear router

Recently i removed the router and without it my internet works just fine so im not sure what the problem is

First, make sure that the DSL Modem is connected to the router and not your computer.

ok first off thanks for the help my router was previosly connected to the modem and then from the comp to the router aswell. But now i have the router simply placed into the electricity and both work great!

I'm glad everything is working for you. I've also attached a diagram that should show you the correct topology (network setup) for your purposes. If everything is set up the way it is in the diagram, then your golden. If not, then you might want to reevaluate it.

Cheers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.