Hello! I don't have a router. So i am thinking of using a switch instead which i have. Is it ok to use a switch instead of a router that is to be connected to a DSL modem which is connected to a DSL line. And then I am going to connect two or three computers to the switch to access the internet. Would this set up damage my switch? Would this set up works and if it would works, how long would it works? Pls. somebody help. Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You will need a router to allow multiple computers

It is hard to provide you with a definite answer without knowing the specifics about the "modem". Many of these ISPs provide you with DSL equipment that is now a modem/router device. In the early days of DSL, they provided you with a modem, and you had to buy a router. That's not the case these days, as the equipment they provide has both the modem and router built in.

if the modem is supplied by ISP, you can connect the modem to Switch. connect all your computers to the switch. Enable DHCP service on the switch and create a NAT if you want to protect your LAN.

It is hard to provide you with a definite answer without knowing the specifics about the "modem". Many of these ISPs provide you with DSL equipment that is now a modem/router device. In the early days of DSL, they provided you with a modem, and you had to buy a router. That's not the case these days, as the equipment they provide has both the modem and router built in.

Thanks for asking further. Sorry, I don't know the specifications because I don't have the modem manual. The ISP provided the modem without the manual. This is what I got: (a)my modem = ADSL2+ modem, (b)my modem model = SE260 dsl, (c)my modem rear panel:1)power pushbutton switch, 2)reset button, 3)one RJ45 port (under the RJ45 port or socket there is a written word ETHERNET, 4)one RJ10 or telephone socket (under it there is a written word LINE). That is all I got.

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

Its called router too. You can connect to switch without worry.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.