Hello all,

I have recently gotten a new computer and after much frustration with compatibility that comes from upgrading from a much older system everything appeared to be running smoothly.

Now i have a problem, about 5 minutes after i 'wake up' my computer from hibernation, it will disconnect for a short while (30 seconds) and then it will happen again about 15 minutes later.

This only happens after hibernation, not when the computer is shut down normally.

However unplugging my router during the disconnection appears to help as it does not then happen after about 15 minutes...

It is not a huge issue but i have been having a problem with the entire network lately and i have a suspicion that it has something to do with the new computer as it only started once i got the computer. So i feel it might be possible to solve all the problems if this one is solved.

My new computer is running windows 7 64 bit and is connected wirelessly to the router. The wireless network card is new (D-Link) the router is an old Belkin one and the modem is a netgear.

My question is, does this sound like a textbook case of a certain problem?

thanks for taking the time to read,
Rob

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

When your system hibernates, it turns off the wireless network adapter. When it wakes, is turns it back on and requests a new IP address from the router. If I were you, I would disable sleep, hybrid sleep, and hibernation while the system is plugged in. Following, is a link to some instructions:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-hybrid-sleep-mode/

Let us know how it works out.

Good Luck

Thanks for your reply techsheaven.

The problem i am having is not immediate disconnection, it is disconnection after five minutes or so. So i am not sure how this will help.

Rob

I see. I guess I didn't read carefully!

What is the signal strength?
Is it fluctuating?
Is it an 802.11 A, B, G, N, or what? Mixed mode? You said older, what model #?
Do you (or a close neighbor) have wireless devices (like cordless phones) operating in the network range? If so, there is your "textbook case of a certain problem."
(802.11a = 5Ghz, 802.11b = 2.4Ghz, 802.11g = 2.4Ghz 802.11n = 5Ghz and/or 2.4Ghz)
What channel is the router set to use?
Do you have any devices using a static IP address from the DHCP pool?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.